Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my 759 danger bell from repair new solinode toasted the other one hooked it up it work but not as loud did set it up the right distance. Any idears what it could be it was loud before i toasted it.
Al

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My guess would be the arm is not adjusted right or the new solenoid is weaker than the original.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has no arm this one just solinode bell house that goes over it and has the flashing lights.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats ok i just shot and email were i had it done maybe he can give me and idea. What to do. Thanks al

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If you want to verify the solenoid is correct it should use 30 gauge wire, 608 to 630 turns in precise layers with a total of 15 layers. The resistance should measure between 7 and 8.3 ohms.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are pic of the solenoide . i cked wire thickness and if i ck ohms wright its reading 3. I also heard from were it was repaired . he said send it back he is having new solinod made for those typs he said he use to rewind the original but the cores are flimsy.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Good pictures, 3.1 ohms is way too low. The wire gauge looks larger than #30 but it is hard to tell from a picture. The rewind is random, not layered. That will result in less wire wound on the core.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wire is .010 which i ck on a wire gage chart 30 gage is .010 so wire is correct. Talked port line hobby told me to send it back.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tooked it to work wasnt sure i was testing it right i wasnt iam getting 10.0 to 13.0 iam still sending it back the pic iam showing the wire that wrapes around the hole is lose and not soldered.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
When you put an Ohm Meter on that coil the meter should give the same resistance reading every time. It should not vary over a range of values. Any reading of coil DC resistance above 8.5 ohms is too high. .010 is 30 gauge if measured as bare copper with the enamel insulation removed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts