Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walthers Goldline
Not highly detailed.

I have a string of these in UP and B&O, plus a few 4-door CSX, but they don't run on my tracks... they look ridiculous on curves under 42".
They only run on the club layout.

The silver doors and ends on the '70's UP cars generally turned a chalky white.

This Walthers Pullman version actually handles tighter curves much better than the older Athearn Greenville cars... and more gracefully, without coupler issues, or derailing as often.

With my setup, the models are too big to capture a full-length broadside shot with any clarity.

gold_linetm_pullman-standard_86_high_cube_8-door_box_car_ready-to-run_932-35312.gif

WthrsUP86_980222_003.jpg

WthrsUP86_980222_002.jpg

WthrsUP86_980222_005.jpg

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Do you have a layout to display all of the rolling stock and locomotives you exhibit here on this site?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5x10 layout with 28" curves is under construction. My old '60's/'70's layout was much-much bigger.

This layout is only big enough for about 20% of the rolling stock inventory, and maybe 70% of the locomotives.

My rolling stock has been gathered over the past 30-40 years. Most of my locomotives (including every diesel) has been acquired within the past 5 years or so.

Much of my rolling stock (especially ones like these) are in vault-storage at a club... where my modern diesels and the E7's & PA/B's also reside.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Full width shot with an iPhone looks like it was taken with a fisheye lens.
Had to divide the car in half-shots.
WthrsUP86_980222_001.jpg

WthrsUP86_980222_004.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Beautiful weathering job!

But I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of those cars.....

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks... I'm not either, really.
But the 'long haulers' at the club are crazy about them, and I got caught up in the frenzy (with recent local sale prices).
These and autoracks run often, and long drags of them do look cool.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In fact, these cars weren't selling at all around here until they went on 40% off sale.
Then when that didn't work all that much they went to 2-for-1 BOGO.
They disappeared in a day.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Great work on those. I have a buddy who adores the Athearn version and had quite a collection of them. He has a long enough layout to be able to enjoy watching them go by.

Similar to you, I feel that on my 5x9 any freight over 60' looks pretty ridiculous and I run very few freight cars longer than 50'.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are the longest cars I own...
Longer than any diesel by about 10 to 15 scale feet.
I have no 85' passenger cars, (never did) because of radius limits on my home layout. Even on my larger '60's/'70's layout there weren't enough wide sweeping curves to justify them.

I've heard that Athearn Greenvilles are generally dicey on anything less than 28" curves.
These Walthers Pullman models will negotiate 22/24" curves, but they look awful doing it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Nice weathering!

Was waiting at a RR crossing a few weeks back and string of these went by. They don't look right in 1:1 either.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our coupler gurus Kadee'd all of these as they were brought in...
I believe they installed 451's.
It's a strange but functional lashup. The biggest issue is factory coupler/car height... Kadee fiber washers were used on some truck-screw bosses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts