Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't visited here in quite some time. This is where my layout was: http://youtu.be/D440sfOGoPg

As it turned out the porch was not a great idea. The dirt that blows in, plus the moisture when it rains is too much of a problem. So, my wife has given me the garage to use. I've purchased a winch and the plan is to be able to raise the table to park a car below.

I want to use 72" diameter curves for part of the layout for my LIONEL 752E PREWAR O GAUGE UNION PACIFIC M10000.

I have many operating accessories for moving coal etc. So I will need sidings. I would appreciate layout ideas for a 8 x 14 layout that will run up to four trains.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I'm wondering about having a central opening in the table. Is it a good idea to have that kind of access?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
how big was the porch layout? u had a lot going on there.

i think center access is good idea. u will need it.

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
There has to be some sort of access to the center
part of a layout that big.

Think reach of your arms. Will you be able to
reach everything on the layout?

If not, maybe you could have a removable section that
comes off from under the table. That way if the
inevitable derailment happens you can have access to it.

Don

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
layout plan assistance wanted

The current layout looks like the attachment. There are two 8x4 sheets and the smaller end is approx 6x3.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Oh, and I'm wondering about having a central opening in the table. Is it a good idea to have that kind of access?
My first layout had an operator pit in the middle with crawl-under access. Never again.

If you do it that way, put in a gate or lift-up section so you can still walk in without having to crawl/stoop.

·
Hobo for Life
6,085 Posts
I liked the old layout and mix of stuff. Only problem I see is it will be heavy to hoist! You dont seem to have trouble with buildind layouts. Get the table done and layout some test track. I find in real life some stuff dosent work as well as it does on paper! I like my dogbone on my inside track. I ran a few sideings off of it to accommodate some accessories. they arnt long but I mostly park stuff that works with the accessories, not much switching for me but I can power up coal loaders and such while I run the trains on the other tracks. Just an idea as it seems you like the accessories too! Good luck, and shoot pictures.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to gunrunnerjohn,

To isolate a track section do you use insulated pins in all three rails? And what does it mean to make sure to keep all the different sections in phase?

thanks,

Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts