Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my DT402D throttle and the DSO138 scope can use a 9 v source, but 9 volts just is not an easy voltage to achieve with today's batteries. I have an 8 pack of 1.2 volt AA cells but they are a pain in the neck to recharge since I can only do 4 at a time. I have some 8.6 volt rechargeable "9 volt" batteries but they are right on the edge of not having enough voltage and they only have about 150ma. There are some nice 3.6 volt cells (18650) that I could use 3 in series then a regulator to get down to 9, but that's not that appealing either. So I'm wondering what others are doing? The scope has the typical socket for power and on the DT402 throttle I took a 9 volt battery apart and put a pigtail on it that then fits the 9 volt battery slot in the throttle so no mods were made to the throttle. The same socket is on the DSO138 scope so my 8 cell pack can power either.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I use a 9.6 volt 1600 mah rechargeable from a RC car. You have to make an adapter and make sure you get the polarity right or you could fry the throttle instantly with that kind of power. It lasts a looooooooooooong time per charge.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see the 9.6v RC batteries and wondered if people were using them. I was looking also a some that seemed to be encapsulated in square plastic package, but they gave no specs on the battery - just the voltage so my guess is they have little capacity. I'll check out the other RC 9.6 packs and recharges. Thanks Jerry

Chuck

·
Admin
45,119 Posts

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I have not used these yet, but plan to. I have heard of these being used in 402
throttles. I hear they make a 13 volt battery that is same size as a 9 volt battery.
I don't know if they make it in rechargeable. I also hear the throttles don't work well, if at all, under 7 volts. That's why 9 volt batteries don't last long in the throttles. Check
around for the 13 volt batteries. I don't know why but there is a small drain even
when not being used with those throttles. That's why some remove the battery or install an on/off switch on the throttles.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I just did a very extensive search online for a 9volt size battery
with 13 volts. I see no such animal. I know I read about these
on a model train forum. I think Jerry has the best idea using a
rechargeable R/C controller high drain battery. I did see those
in 9 volt size.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my concerns was charging a pack of 8 batteries in series, but that appears to be done with these 9.6 volt 8 cell RC battery packs. If that's the case then maybe I'll just get the charger and recharge my 8 AA cell pack. I have a nice plastic battery holder for the 8 AA cell batteries and it has an on/off switch. Charging Nicad's in series was a problem, but maybe the NiMh Powerx cells will do just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts