Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've recovered from the shock. I have a TMCC base and cab that I use for the Lionel locos on my MTH system. Last year I thought, "Well, next fall, I'll see if I can find a used 990" as I'd picked up a new Legacy loco. (Foolish me) 馃槅

September counts as fall for me. Today I went to see what 990's were going for used. Nearly went into shock. Saw prices from $900 to $1400 for used units on ebay, with most of them being $1100-$1300.馃槷o_O馃檮

Did some more digging and saw the Base3 is still listed as a preorder, and the 990 is discontinued. I thought the Base3 was supposed to be released by now. ???:unsure:

So are the prices because, right now, there are no new Legacy control systems to be found?

If I drank, I'd have needed a couple of shots after seeing those prices.馃嵒馃お馃槃

Registered
A TMCC system will do about 90% of what a full 990 system will do. Save your money and just get a Base 3 if you are OK with a tablet or phone to run trains. Dave Olsen said he was able to interface a TMCC base with a Base 3 that would allow you to use your Cab1 to run trains vs a phone.

Pete

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to wait for the Base3. I was shocked at the prices because the 990 systems were going for 200-250 bucks used last year. Couldn't believe what was being asked for them. I have no issues using a tablet or phone as that's what I use with my MTH DCS system.

Registered
I鈥檝e seen 990 systems supposedly selling on ebay for big bucks but how do you know that鈥檚 what they are selling for. I know that you can check the last prices bid but that鈥檚 still not an indicator.

Most of the private sales on the train forums are going for much less. There was a guy offering a used 990 system complete for $895 and no takers. The CAB1L systems seem to be going in the $300-400 on range on e-bay but I could only get $150 for one I had for sale recently.

Since the CAB3 is well off in the distance I guess the 990鈥檚 will still command a high price for some time.

Registered
I鈥檝e seen 990 systems supposedly selling on ebay for big bucks but how do you know that鈥檚 what they are selling for. I know that you can check the last prices bid but that鈥檚 still not an indicator.

Most of the private sales on the train forums are going for much less. There was a guy offering a used 990 system complete for $895 and no takers. The CAB1L systems seem to be going in the $300-400 on range on e-bay but I could only get $150 for one I had for sale recently.

Since the CAB3 is well off in the distance I guess the 990鈥檚 will still command a high price for some time.
You can see what they sold for on eBay. Search for the item. On the resulting eBay page, left column, all the way at the bottom, click on "Sold". eBay will show you what, if anything, sold in the past.

Registered
Now
to test the waters
How about a brand new 990 system still sealed. Shipped for $625 CONUS. If anyone thinks they would be interested I鈥檒l post it for sale on the for sale forum. Otherwise I鈥檒l just keep it.

Registered
i have another 990 available. It鈥檚 used but has been recently serviced by Lionel and upgraded to the latest software. Includes OB, and shipping. I鈥檓 thinking about $325 shipped. Any interest.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts