Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a show this weekend in Novi MI. The usual clubs were there except for one new one. Except for the corners the layout was completely made of scratch built metal bridges.
Yup. The man is now 77 years old and replicates bridges from plans and photos to O scale. The first picture is one bridge in 3 pieces, Oh yea, it's 40 feet long. No you didn't read it wrong, it's 40 feet with over 50,000.00 welds. Well brazed, I guess it depends on how you define welding. The detail is just incredible. To give a better idea on how big this is, look at the hopper cars on the bridge, they are O scale.

Enjoy
Bruce...

Bridge1.jpg

Bridge2.jpg

Bridge3.jpg

Bridge4.jpg

Bridge5.jpg

Bridge6.jpg

Bridge7.jpg

Bridge8.jpg

Bridge9.jpg

Bridge10.jpg

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
That's fantastic! What drives these people??

·
Registered
258 Posts
The hours that went into that project is a lot! It’s very nice BUT it’s so out of scale? Interesting the time one takes on a project such as this but it’s so huge and top heavy.... I am pretty OCD about things being in scale so that would literally drive me nuts.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The bridge builder is Harold Woods, Jr. His bio info from a website featuring his work provides the following:

75 years young and married 54 years to Janice Woods. They have 14 children, 26 grandchildren, and 1 great grandchild. They worked with D.A. Blodgett, opening their home to over 40 children, including those with special needs. Harold worked 39 years at Owen Ames Kimball (OAK) as a journeyman, carpenter and superintendent. Harold has been a member of the West Michigan Railroad Historical Society for quite some time and has been building steel model bridges for 15 years.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Harold+Woods+jr.&oq=Harold+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l6.4424j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Another website features two of his bridges. One is a 45' Standard Guage model of the Hellgate Bridge; and, the other is a 15' O scale model of an Illionois Central truss bridge in Metropolis, IL.

https://www.artprize.org/65041

1 - 9 of 9 Posts