Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st---my cheap little HO Bachmann 0-6-0 needs a little nudge to get it started everytime. After that, it runs just great pulling 4 or 5 rolling stock. No matter how long I let the little engine warm up, it still needs a little nudge again to get it started---otherwise it doesn't move an inch. I have taken it apart and lubricated everything that I can think of without success. Any suggestions?
2nd---The smoke unit on it doesn't work. I purchased some new liquid smoke (Crest Smoke fluid) from the Hobby Shop and its' instructions states that not all other smoke units use petroleum-based smoke units. Does this mean that it won't work in a Bachmann train???

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Small switchers have very few contact points for electrical pickup, even the best of them can be finicky. Make sure your track is clean and that there is no oil on the commutator of the motor. Other than that, adding track sliders is your next best fix. Another fix would be to add a second "helper" loco that provides added pickups like I did with this Athearn hustler pair.

Smoke units are pretty product specific so I would be careful there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there's oil on the commutator; how do you clean it off? The helper idea is great. I think that's an easy fix and a great way to show off a second loco. I don't mind taking the engine apart again. It is a basic engine and a good learning experience. It's faithful once it gets going.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I just use contact cleaner from Radio Shack, just about anything like it will do. I've played with the helper idea a lot using interchangeable shells, my latest being a road slug kitbash still awaiting paint.

·
Registered
96 Posts
easy quest., cleaning commutator

Isopropol alcohol, proponal, with a cotton swab should get mosty of the oil off. Most proponals sold today is 70% in water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts