Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Been waiting all day for this to get here so I could start converting the FT A/B set to DCC.

It's getting kinda late so I checked the tracking....

Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 3 - 5 business days after the return is processed. We鈥檙e very sorry for the inconvenience.
Tracking details...

Friday, April 2
4:16 PM
Package damaged and will not be delivered

1:16 PM
Package was damaged and will be returned.
馃槙

On the bright side, at least I don't have to deal with returning it.

Registered
I got a similar message, except that instead of a refund, they automatically shipped a replacement. I actually got BOTH packages. The first one looked like it had fallen into a shredder, but the items inside (cable cuffs), were fine; one had a long gouge in the plastic, but it'll look like that after a few months of use anyway. I asked Amazon what to do, and they said, "No problem, our mistake. Keep the replacements, no charge."

Too bad about yours, though. Sucks when the part you need to complete a project doesn't arrive.

Registered
I had Menard's ship me a new microwave oven. They shipped the wrong color and when plugged in and operated made the Devil's own noise. The fan was either loose on the motor shaft or the blades were bent.

I emailed them and they sent the correct, working microwave to me with no return label for the defective oven. I was never charged for two ovens, and never heard from them again. This was August of last year.

The broken one was re-boxed and is still sitting in my garage.

Registered
I ordered several music CD's and checked the tracking and it showed arrived at my UPS hub, a day later I got a message that the item was being returned and I'd be issued a refund, I called UPS and apparently the padded envelope had ripped open, and the CD's were free range, the lady on the phone named off the CD's they found in the bin and all I had ordered were present and she assured me there was no damage, they put them back in the envelope and taped it up and I got it the next day, other than the damage to the packaging everything was in perfect condition, I contacted Amazon and informed them, they said they'd update the account, 3 days later I was issued a full refund even after I told them I accepted the package, makes me wonder how much money they lose in a year with things like this

Premium Member
They don鈥檛 lose money.....they are a mega corporation, and getting richer by the day.....

Registered
Yes, Amazon seems pre-active at times. I had the same thing happen with a damaged package. Sort of pleased they didn't deliver it but sent another. Was a can of paint.

Premium Member
I had this happen once with some lawn care products I purchased and the super concentrated vinegar weed spray (trying to be environmentally sound for the dogs... At least that's what the wife wanted me to do) and I noticed the tracking had some weird number so I called the local post office and they told me to call the warehouse in town and the supervisor knew exactly why I was calling and told me to swing by.

I swung by and the concentrated vinegar bottle exploded all over the stuff. I almost threw up in my mouth when they opened the box for me it was so bad. I did manage to save a few small pieces and stupid me having integrity I told Amazon it wasn't all damaged as they were more than willing to send me replacements for everything.

Registered
Yes, Amazon seems pre-active at times. I had the same thing happen with a damaged package. Sort of pleased they didn't deliver it but sent another. Was a can of paint.
Amazon would rather have satisfied customers who will strongly consider using them for future purchases rather than trying to make money on every sale. That's what makes good, successful retailers (and why some people on eBay are such jerks -- they feel the need to make money, not build a customer base).

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I was reminded of the time I bought a replacement battery for my UPS from Amazon. Before it even arrived I did further troubleshooting and the control module was bad. I submitted a return request and Amazon said "We can't accept shipments of Li-Ion batteries. Keep it. We'll refund your money." I told them I hadn't even opened the package. "Nope."

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
So Friday night I re-ordered the sodderin' arn. To be delivered today.

Amazon left it in the mailbox. The box does not have a USPS shipping label on it.

Of course I didn't get the "Your order has been delivered" email with the pic of the box sitting on the front porch. It is still "out for delivery".

Registered
Regarding how Amazon stays in business after so easily giving refunds... After talking with a few sellers when dealing with business purchases I've learned that Amazon NEVER pays for anything, especially not their own mistakes. They expect all sellers to eat the costs. I remember one recent conversation with an Amazon rep in which the tracking information said my package was out for delivery, but they sent me an email saying the package had been lost. I asked the rep how it could be lost if it was on Amazon's delivery truck. Then I asked if Amazon was paying for the replacement instead of charging the seller. The rep kept repeating that I shouldn't worry about it, a new package was being shipped (not that I expected them to actually answer the question).

So yeah, Amazon makes their money by hurting all the small businesses that ship through them. I try to avoid them whenever I can, but at least their customer reviews are useful . :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding how Amazon stays in business after so easily giving refunds... After talking with a few sellers when dealing with business purchases I've learned that Amazon NEVER pays for anything, especially not their own mistakes.
Yep.

Freight damage... seller pays for return freight. Buyer returns for "just because"... seller pays return freight.

When it's time for Amazon to pay you for your goods that sold, there's all the fees. After those are deducted there is a "hold-back" amount = roughly 40% of the net. You get it, eventually. But Amazon always holds back some of your money for... who are we kidding, so they can invest it for a few days just like a bank does.

Amazon/Bezos didn't figure this out. Wal-Mart was doing it when Bezos was in diapers.

Registered
Yep.

Freight damage... seller pays for return freight. Buyer returns for "just because"... seller pays return freight.

When it's time for Amazon to pay you for your goods that sold, there's all the fees. After those are deducted there is a "hold-back" amount = roughly 40% of the net. You get it, eventually. But Amazon always holds back some of your money for... who are we kidding, so they can invest it for a few days just like a bank does.

Amazon/Bezos didn't figure this out. Wal-Mart was doing it when Bezos was in diapers.
That's true for Amazon Marketplace sellers, but not Amazon itself. So if you're a small business thinking of listing through Amazon, you consider all the fees and such.... and then you consider all of the millions of potential customers who will see your products that you probably wouldn't have been able to reach otherwise, and it costs you ZERO in advertising. The people complaining about Amazons fees are conveniently forgetting that end of the equation.

Not sure what you have against Jeff Bezos, or if your a member of the Walton Fan Club.... but Jeff Bezos was born in 1964. The World Wide Web came into being in the early 1990s, with Amazon.com somewhat after that... as an online bookseller, at first. Not even the most pessimistic estimate of his difficulty in potty training could keep him in diapers that long.

Unless you're referring simply to the practice of investing cash held for a short period of time to turn a profit by delaying a payment. The credit for that would have to go to Hanseatic League bankers... roughly 500 years before Columbus set sail.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
.... and then you consider all of the millions of potential customers who will see your products that you probably wouldn't have been able to reach otherwise,
That's exactly why the outfit I work for put a few select products on Amazon. And everyone else. Pretty obvious.

and it costs you ZERO in advertising. The people complaining about Amazons fees are conveniently forgetting that end of the equation.
I'm looking at a statement from Amazon right now. In the Expenses section there are three line items: Cost of Advertising, Shipping Charges (for returned goods) & Amazon fees. If you take out shipping, which is actual, Advertising is 40% of the expenses and Fees is the balance. So I guess I didn't conveniently forget anything.

To Amazon's credit (somewhat), when goods are returned there is also a credit for "expenses", but it's not broken out into which and it isn't the same percentage as originally charged.

Not sure what you have against Jeff Bezos, or if your a member of the Walton Fan Club.... but Jeff Bezos was born in 1964. The World Wide Web came into being in the early 1990s, with Amazon.com somewhat after that... as an online bookseller, at first. Not even the most pessimistic estimate of his difficulty in potty training could keep him in diapers that long.
Nothing against Bezos. Deplore Wal-Mart. It was a euphemism for Pete's sake. The company that can reach/sell to millions on your behalf does a lot of dictating about what you as a vendor have to do in order to have the "privilege" of them carrying your wares. Wal-Mart was doing it before the WWW. BTDT also.

Thanks for the history lesson in Finance.

Registered
That's exactly why the outfit I work for put a few select products on Amazon. And everyone else. Pretty obvious.

I'm looking at a statement from Amazon right now. In the Expenses section there are three line items: Cost of Advertising, Shipping Charges (for returned goods) & Amazon fees. If you take out shipping, which is actual, Advertising is 40% of the expenses and Fees is the balance. So I guess I didn't conveniently forget anything.

To Amazon's credit (somewhat), when goods are returned there is also a credit for "expenses", but it's not broken out into which and it isn't the same percentage as originally charged.

Nothing against Bezos. Deplore Wal-Mart. It was a euphemism for Pete's sake. The company that can reach/sell to millions on your behalf does a lot of dictating about what you as a vendor have to do in order to have the "privilege" of them carrying your wares. Wal-Mart was doing it before the WWW. BTDT also.

Thanks for the history lesson in Finance.
So 40% of what they charged you is for advertising. Go ahead, take that monthly charge, find an advertising outlet with similar exposure (I'm thinking a Superbowl spot), and see what those fees will buy you. THAT's what you're "conveniently overlooking".

And yes, I'll agree with you that Wal-Mart was the original "Too big to fight" retailer, although they took their ideas from earlier attempts (Wells Fargo, Sears) and did it better.

And it was hyperbole, not euphemism.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I can assure you, CT, that we are not overlooking anything. Our wares don't warrant a "superbowl spot", as that's a completely different market. So you have no idea what you're talking about... unless you know more about my business than I do.

Thanks for the vocabulary lesson.

Have you marketed on Amazon or in Wal-Mart stores?

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I actually went back and reviewed this thread.

So 40% of what they charged you is for advertising. Go ahead, take that monthly charge, find an advertising outlet with similar exposure (I'm thinking a Superbowl spot), and see what those fees will buy you. THAT's what you're "conveniently overlooking".
You have no clue. It's all conjecture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts