Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5,484 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the track looks like O scale while the train sets are HO. But that's the kind of thing you could sell later on. Don't expect a lot from that 4-4-0 loco...models of them don't have a good reputation for being good pullers. As for the price, you could easily have $30 worth of fun from them!

· Premium Member
246 Posts
Definitely worth $30, many of those cars could be upgraded etc, but the fun value will certainly exceed the price
True, that.

I bought my very first used set recently, primarily to acquire one item I'd been unable to source separately, but to my total surprise the odds and ends that came with the set sparked a raft of unplanned projects and uses. As long as you have room to store the leftover bits and pieces until you find a use for them, I'm now a great fan of buying used sets and collections! 🙂👍

· Registered
12,728 Posts
Whether something is a good buy or not depends on whether or not the prospective purchaser thinks he's getting something worth what he's being asked to pay. There is a lot of junk in that set, and certainly some of it doesn't go with the rest, but since a used loco probably costs that much, if you want something to get you started in the hobby, then it's probably worth it to you.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,089 Posts
Well, im picking it up in a few hours so we'll see whether or not it was worth it then.
When you get it all take better pictures and post.
Curious to see what you actually got.

· Registered
1,924 Posts
A little mismatched (but that's fine, other than the three-rail O scale track which is out of place the rest should all work together) but if there's 3 engines, about a dozen cars, and a full set of track and a transformer/power supply, $30 isn't bad for this.

This is some of the more basic/cheapest stuff you can get - those freight cars would probably be a dollar or two a piece at a train show - but if you add all the pieces together there, you'd probably exceed that if you bought this all piecemeal at train show tables, even leaving out the extra 3-rail track which isn't useful to you.

As long as it works and you get some enjoyment out of it, it's a deal. It doesn't take much to reach the same price point on a couple of movie tickets for example, and that entertainment only lasts for a couple hours...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I picked them up and I'm pleased. All the boxes save the Lionel were complete, except the f7 in the Bachmann set has no chassis, as I figured. The 2-4-0 runs really well, actually. The GP-38 runs, but squeaks so it need lube. In terms of cosmetics, the 2-4-0 is missing the spark arrestor, and the pistons. The GP is very dirty, but complete, lighting and all. Thank you all for convincing me to purchase them!

· Registered
18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts

· Registered
972 Posts
Well I picked them up and I'm pleased. All the boxes save the Lionel were complete, except the f7 in the Bachmann set has no chassis, as I figured. The 2-4-0 runs really well, actually. The GP-38 runs, but squeaks so it need lube. In terms of cosmetics, the 2-4-0 is missing the spark arrestor, and the pistons. The GP is very dirty, but complete, lighting and all. Thank you all for convincing me to purchase them!
Looks like you bought quite allot of fun for $30. Have fun with them.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,089 Posts
The pictures look great? :whistle: ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts