Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie, learning a lot of new skills. I thought I would take a crack a compiling a list of "Best Practices" for model railroading. I was hoping fellow modelers could help flesh it out. What do you all think? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
-----
Yes but, this is a new and improved "presentation" to avoid misunderstanding. :)
...and confusion! :eek:

Keep in mind, these "best practices" are opinions, not always proven facts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...and confusion! :eek:

Keep in mind, these "best practices" are opinions, not always proven facts
------
Yes, I agree. I realize that there are usually several different practices for each aspect of modeling. It also seems to me that some practices are preferred by most contemporary modelers (like us) e.g. modelers who are capable of participating in a forum on the Web! :) I would LOVE to see a consensus of modeler opinions on practices (or methods) for each aspect of modeling. I would like to learn from their experience. I will then spread the good word. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what's new and improved about it?
---
To be more clear, I present it here as a list that I am just starting and would like suggestions for (to help me flesh out) as opposed to a list that resulted from research that I did and asking for review & comment from fellow modelers.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME

I think this is a good idea.
And like many good ideas, other people will have opinions.

I do not know tbarber1027, he may be 16 years old or 61.
If young, this will be a learning experience which may be useful in his/her career path in life. Us older gents know that good ides often get changed around by upper management :(

My first thought, an excel spreadsheet may be good for the raw data, but HTML or other WEB friendly coding will make the idea easier to sell.

Second thought, make it easily searchable for beginner modelers.
e.g. Someone just posted a question about rail code. Others ask about which turnouts to use.

Maybe the database can be built into a model railroading encyclopedia.

Another example might be, some older lady/gentleman remembers something about making pine trees. The database could be searchable and provide links to a section of the HTML with video or pics of a best practice for making them.

Heck, tbarber1027 may end up being an editor for a model railroad magazine.:)

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I doubt it....

It's not really doable on a grand basis.....there's simply too many ways to do things that can be deemed "best", as there is no "best" scale, no "best" manufacturer, no "best" anything really.....

As it is, in the Internet age, there is no info that cannot already be found if one only looks for it.....

There's no harm in doing something like this for your own benefit, but don't expect to be able to foist it upon people that likely/probably have far more experience and knowledge in the hobby than you do.....

IMHO, as is always the case.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think this is a good idea.
And like many good ideas, other people will have opinions.

I do not know tbarber1027, he may be 16 years old or 61.
If young, this will be a learning experience which may be useful in his/her career path in life. Us older gents know that good ides often get changed around by upper management :(

My first thought, an excel spreadsheet may be good for the raw data, but HTML or other WEB friendly coding will make the idea easier to sell.

Second thought, make it easily searchable for beginner modelers.
e.g. Someone just posted a question about rail code. Others ask about which turnouts to use.

Maybe the database can be built into a model railroading encyclopedia.

Another example might be, some older lady/gentleman remembers something about making pine trees. The database could be searchable and provide links to a section of the HTML with video or pics of a best practice for making them.

Heck, tbarber1027 may end up being an editor for a model railroad magazine.:)
------
"Heck, tbarber1027 may end up being an editor for a model railroad magazine."
I love your perspective! An engineering perspective.
My father was also an electrical engineer. I also have many years of experience in manufacturing engineering and software test engineering. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts