Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100_3320.JPG
Purchased a somewhat neglected but complete Cannonball set (no boxes) recently and the loco needs help.

It lights, and jumps a bit when I hit the direction button on the transformer, but that’s about it. All contact areas I could reach have been cleaned but I can see the commutator is dirty but can’t get to it.

I’ve looked hard but have been unable to find any info re disassembly procedures. Are the 2 screws marked with blue arrows the key?

Also, do I need to service the tender and if so how to disassemble? Hard tp tell from the pics, but all contact surfaces marked with blue arrow have been cleaned, both axel and contact.

I’ve taken a fancy to this set and would like to get it up and running. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Nice acquisition. Bookmark the site gilbertho.org. On the upper right side of the Index at the top of the page click on "Links." All the pages from the factory repair manual are there. It should provide all you need to get the Hudson running again. Post some pictures when it is up and running.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice acquisition. Bookmark the site gilbertho.org. On the upper right side of the Index at the top of the page click on "Links." All the pages from the factory repair manual are there. It should provide all you need to get the Hudson running again. Post some pictures when it is up and running.
Thanks...I'll try right now.

Wow... this dosn't look like a quick or easy job! 😕

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I followed the instructions as gilbertho.org. and have been unable to remove the boiler front.

There is a gap completely around between the front and the loco body into which I can insert a good size screw driver blade but no matter how hard I twist, the front just won't release.

And when I remove the scew diver blade, the gap closes slightly as if the front was still attached to the body by a spring, or that a wire from the bulb is pulling the front back.

I've searched and searched but other than he above mentioned site, I can find no other info.

I really like this loco and would like to get it running and would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
From the diagram it looks like the clip on the bottom of the boiler front that extends into the boiler needs to be lifted up to release it. This would be after removing the smoke tube and the front truck. Unfortunately I do not have one of the HO Hudsons to verify the procedure.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I never knew AF had HO...! Anyway......
This may be way way off but; could the problem be the flanges are striking the simulated spike heads on the rails ?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Your pain is still fresh in my mind... I received a used ten-wheeler this weekend which was shorting the track every time I applied throttle from DCC. I finally gave in and tore it down yesterday. It appears there was some gunk shorting the brushes but I was able to get it to start spinning under DC power and finally got it cleaned enough to run smoothly. It took me the entire afternoon to complete the job, and only about 20 minutes of actually working on the motor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very frustrating. Front is loose all around the circle but just won't come out!!!!!

There is no room to insert any tool under the bottom tab. Was able to get a hooked tool that would catch on the boiler bottom front edge but prying did not work.

Thanks for replying. Would have acknowledged replies sooner but on some days I can't type cause of this damned parkinsons

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
No problem, take all the time you need. From looking at the diagram it is not clear what is holding the smoke box front on the boiler after the pilot truck is unscrewed. If I were working on the engine, at this point I would drop the chassis to get the Smoke/Choo choo unit out. Then come (look) in from behind to see what is holding the boiler front in place. On the S gauge Gilbert steam engines we have the opposite problem. The boiler fronts are just a friction fit or spring clip and they tend to fall out when the engine is running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's been several years since I took one apart. As I remember the boiler front can't be removed until it is loose from the frame. Did you remove the screw on the back of the cab? It is #36 on the parts diagram.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I am guessing that removing screw 36 might allow the chassis to move out of position. It is worth a try.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good info from all. Thanks....will give it a go again this coming week. The dang thing has been sitting on my workbench for 3 weeks.
No problem, take all the time you need. From looking at the diagram it is not clear what is holding the smoke box front on the boiler after the pilot truck is unscrewed. If I were working on the engine, at this point I would drop the chassis to get the Smoke/Choo choo unit out. Then come (look) in from behind to see what is holding the boiler front in place. On the S gauge Gilbert steam engines we have the opposite problem. The boiler fronts are just a friction fit or spring clip and they tend to fall out when the engine is running.
It's been several years since I took one apart. As I remember the boiler front can't be removed until it is loose from the frame. Did you remove the screw on the back of the cab? It is #36 on the parts diagram.

Belatedly (because of china virus restrictions) celebrating our 50th anniversary with extended family this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts