Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son found these in a box at a flea market $5.

Passenger cars are Rivarossi, plastic hopper is Varney, the diecasts are a mystery. Some one removed the trucks, looking for them too.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have searched for those couplerless trucks for the ore cars to no happiness. Anyone have a source?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
The Tichy archbar trucks would be good on those die cast hoppers, about the right era ... you can also use the plastic wheels that come with them, or for a bit of added weight use the Intermountain wheelsets

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Tichy archbar trucks would be good on those die cast hoppers, about the right era ... you can also use the plastic wheels that come with them, or for a bit of added weight use the Intermountain wheelsets
Thanks, found these on ebay, they offer several different types. Thought these would be good. Guess some assembly is required. Price is reasonable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
it's also a good idea to replace the couplers, although you use those horn/hook in a set ..

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
that loco is probably close to the correct era for the hoppers ...
and the hoppers are easy to paint, just a rattle can of red oxide primer, lol

·
Registered
787 Posts
Actually they are, or at least were referred to as 'ore jennies' back in the 1950s...If one is modeling 50s or earlier they would be called jennies...I believe in contemporary RRing my guess they are standard, large hoppers,..or perhaps tall-sided gondolas. I don't know if the diminutive jennies are still in use today...
I have that same Bmann 4-4-0 and their 4-6-0. Both little gems; great running and great details.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Actually they are, or at least were referred to as 'ore jennies' back in the 1950s...If one is modeling 50s or earlier they would be called jennies...I believe in contemporary RRing my guess they are standard, large hoppers,..or perhaps tall-sided gondolas. I don't know if the diminutive jennies are still in use today...
I have that same Bmann 4-4-0 and their 4-6-0. Both little gems; great running and great details.
Ore jennies are a specialized type of hopper car designed exclusively to haul heavy loads of iron ore. The car's history can trace its roots back to the mid-1800s although as Mike Schafer notes in his book, "Freight Train Cars," it wasn't until the end of that century when vast veins of ore were discovered in the Upper Midwest did the car become a common sight, at least in those regions where mining operations were located. Notable carries such as the Milwaukee Road, Chicago & North Western, Soo Line, and especially the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range all handle considerable amounts of ore and derived a significant portion of the revenue from such. Today, despite a sharp decrease in domestic production jennies can still be found in service.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a mixture of NMRA and Kadee couplers. I think those are diecast also.

Coal cars are new to me. Don't know what loco to use them with. Thinking this:

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Those cars are for carrying ore, not coal. Coal isn’t as dense and the car is bigger. Great haul.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those cars are for carrying ore, not coal. Coal isn’t as dense and the car is bigger. Great haul.
Yeah, I slipped back into calling them coal cars. At one time I used aquarium filtering charcoal for my gondolas. What would be a good substitute for ore should I decide to go that route?

Wouldn't be able to do any if I can't find trucks for them, but so far I have only scared up one set.

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Actually, I did a Google search for "ore jenny", and after looking at the images (real ones, not models), I didn't see one picture of a jenny with arch bar trucks.....:eek:hwell:

I don't believe arch bar trucks were designed to carry the enormous weight of heavy ore.....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts