Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
This is an O gauge ore load I make using red gravel that is used as concrete sand or for a bed for paver bricks. For HO, it would need to be screened through a sifter finer then standard window screen, which I use for O gauge. A dry brush application of red oxide dye can be used lightly to add a bit more red here and there. You can also go to a paint store, and ask for a small container of fuchsia red coloring tint, and dry brush sparingly.

DSC_0661.jpg

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Actually, I did a Google search for "ore jenny", and after looking at the images (real ones, not models), I didn't see one picture of a jenny with arch bar trucks.....:eek:hwell:

I don't believe arch bar trucks were designed to carry the enormous weight of heavy ore.....
I found this Varney ore car on ebay, there are others. I'm not a stickler for authenticity so I think the ones I bought will do if they fit correctly.

And thanks Don, I will look into it.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Tichy archbar trucks would be good on those die cast hoppers, about the right era ... you can also use the plastic wheels that come with them, or for a bit of added weight use the Intermountain wheelsets
Got them in today. Fast shipping and they included a catalog.

Assembly looks complicated, thankfully they included instructions. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Varney

I too ended up with a couple of Varney ore cars from a 'lot' purchase. I like them regardlees of no actual use in the layout. Although complete, they need some tlc. Coupler replacement a must do. Trucks and wheels are all plastic, bettendorf style and sprung. Boo. Get around to changing to unsprung & metal wheels eventually I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You might find this site helpful if you ever want to model the appropriate truck on a given car.....

https://mrr.trains.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/4/c/c/mr_pi_5-06_freightcartrucks.pdf
That's a great read OH. Turns out a "Truck" just isn't something that holds something up but a rolling mathematical equation.

Different strokes for different folks and different trucks for different applications.

Enjoyed it all but especially the last part pertaining to HO gauge trucks and NMRA specs.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ironically, I was about to start a thread asking about the difference in truck names and styles. I decided to intergoogleweb it first by typing in archbar trucks. I came up with the same link that Old Hobo presented. It is indeed a good read! I learned what I wanted to know about and, quite a bit more as well. Considering that most of my railroad theme is/will be based on the late 1800's up into about 1920-ish, archbar trucks will prevail wherever I can do so. By no means a rivet counter here but, if I'm purchasing replacement trucks well...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ironically, I was about to start a thread asking about the difference in truck names and styles. I decided to intergoogleweb it first by typing in archbar trucks. I came up with the same link that Old Hobo presented. It is indeed a good read! I learned what I wanted to know about and, quite a bit more as well. Considering that most of my railroad theme is/will be based on the late 1800's up into about 1920-ish, archbar trucks will prevail wherever I can do so. By no means a rivet counter here but, if I'm purchasing replacement trucks well...
Wish I had your foresight KW. I just jumped in with both feet not knowing which way they were heading.

I like that era too and have several Bachmann Spectrums that fit within it. But my main obsession starts perhaps a little earlier with the American 4-4-0's.

I will be paying a bit more attention to trucks going forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wish I had your foresight KW. I just jumped in with both feet not knowing which way they were heading.

I like that era too and have several Bachmann Spectrums that fit within it. But my main obsession starts perhaps a little earlier with the American 4-4-0's.

I will be paying a bit more attention to trucks going forward.
My favorite engine, those are gorgeous! Here are a couple of mine, both from Tyco General kits.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Those really are gorgeous Locomotives. I like the mortar on the flat car. Nice touch. Looks like you have Bachmann track and a roundtable and houses maybe.

I bought two trashed Tyco/Mantua Generals and made one good one out of the two. Heavy diecast I media blasted the best body and transferred missing pieces from the other. The tender is a work in progress.

But, most of mine of that era are AHM/IHC imports mostly built by Pocher. Found a rather rare Hinkley not to long ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
yes, they glue together .. i used Dr. mike's CA for delrin on those ..
Started to put one together.

Takes steady hands to assemble all those small parts. Will CA hold those plastic parts together well? I thought a drop of Testers red tube plastic cement?

Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Keep us posted during your progress.
Ok, let me start by saying that I'm not good at this, not because of lack of ability or desire but by shaky hands that started in my 70's, a heredity pass-down from my mother whose hands shook until we lost her at age 104.

Even with steady hands this would be a challenge. Tiny parts, the bearings that fit into the side frames are not much larger that the head of a common pin and tweezers are no help. The bearings just pop right out. Best bet is to drop them into the hole, hope for the best and press them in with your thumb. Then cement the side frames into the bolster. I used Testor's red tube cement as it's forgiving because you have to insert the wheels into the bearings angling the side frames while doing so, then square everything up.

On this one, I chose not to use the "springplanks". no way I was going to get them to work. I just cemented the bottom bolster in and left it at that. I'm not a stickler for authenticity. They do not supply a securing pin, you have to use what came on the car. I used a #2 brass screw that was a perfect fit and insured the tension was correct before I cemented in the bottom piece.

All in all, I'm not a fan. Finicky things to assemble but they seem to work. I will know more tomorrow when I set it up on the layout and haul it around with something.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Easy for me to say now, but there are easier/better trucks that you could have used....as I said before, for those "jennies", I never found one photo with those types of trucks on it......probably due to the very heavy load limits of those ore cars...

Accurail makes the best trucks I have found, even Intermountain is using them on their rolling stock now..... maybe have a look at their site for future projects......just trying to help.....

Accurail Parts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Easy for me to say now, but there are easier/better trucks that you could have used....as I said before, for those "jennies", I never found one photo with those types of trucks on it......probably due to the very heavy load limits of those ore cars...

Accurail makes the best trucks I have found, even Intermountain is using them on their rolling stock now..... maybe have a look at their site for future projects......just trying to help.....

Accurail Parts
I saved your Intermountain site OH, I'll look them up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
As expected and no surprise my smooth running NMRA coupler equipped Mehano 2-6-0 locomotive pulled it around my layout with no derailments at the switchers even without additional weight. I think any RS (series) engine would be correct too depending on the consist.

Most ore car trucks look like this but I saw a couple that resemble arch bars.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Well, arch bar trucks would be OK for those very early jennies; you can even tell by just looking at them that their load limit would be way less than newer, all steel cars....

21 - 40 of 43 Posts