Model Train Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, arch bar trucks would be OK for those very early jennies; you can even tell by just looking at them that their load limit would be way less than newer, all steel cars....
What is the truck style called in the 1 to 1 picture above that shows my model ore car? I can't locate that page again that defines trucks.

Bob the Conductor

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Go back to post #25 above to find the link to the truck types......

The trucks in that photo seem to resemble Andrews trucks, or a variation thereof.....

Here it is again if you can't find it.....bookmark it this time.....

Freight Car Trucks

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The B&O used to haul iron ore in regular hoppers. Just a small pile of ore over each truck was enough to load the hopper car to capacity. It was odd to see a hopper loaded with ore with only a small pile of ore over each truck.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
@rsv1ho -- Am I correct in thinking those are Tichy archbar trucks you're using there? If so, I bought a package of them once and I too was not impressed. I decided to use all metal Kadee trucks instead and have been very happy with them. If you want to continue using what you have, I would suggest a dab of lightweight oil on the bearings to hold them in the frames while you do assembly. It's a shame the Tichy trucks weren't molded as a single piece. I had trouble with the glue breaking loose or the trucks seeming to sag just from the weight of a metal-framed Tyco car on them, so I finally gave up.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
They are to put it mildly, a pain to assemble. But the final outcome seems to be workable and they perform just fine. They sure are easy rollers. The little ore car I used them on is now a gem to use. I'm looking forward to doing the rest of them.

I found it best to use Testors red tube plastic cement to put them together. Working time allows assembly of the wheels into the trucks and final squaring up before the cement hardens. Put aside over night and the next day you have a very nice set of trucks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I completed four ore cars using Tichy trucks. Perhaps not the proper style, but they work.

I found it best to assemble the bearings inside a box, these are small, difficult to seat and easily lost.. After trying to insert the bearings into the trucks without much success, I set the bearings upright on end and forced the trucks down on them. Worked much better. Then getting the wheels in the pre-glued trucks was maddening. Get one seated and try the second and the first would fall out. I finally used a clamp to hold them. Unless your really, really clever, buy assembled trucks.

Lined them up on my new to me 0-4-0 Camelback switcher and had fun running them around the track. I'm pleased with this little engine. Hauls all these cars without the benefit of tires or Bullfrog snot with no wheel spin and realistic speeds.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Completed the fifth and last of the coal cars my son found for me at a flea market using Tichy trucks to replace those missing. Attached it on the end of the diecast cars but before the plastic Varney cars. All five are easy rollers, perhaps the best of any that I have. They negotiate all of my track well including a couple of turn-outs that can be problematic with no derailments.

All in all the Tichy trucks work well but are a pain to assemble. Can't beat the price though.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts