Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Sorry to see this Gary. I know you went through with that Mogul. Maybe there will be another one in the future.

Regards,

Gary.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
That is so bizarre. I have hard time understanding what kind of problem these have that couldn't be fixed. Like I have said in the past they are identical to the TMCC ones save the motor, motor worm and worm gear.

Pete

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That is so bizarre. I have hard time understanding what kind of problem these have that couldn't be fixed. Like I have said in the past they are identical to the TMCC ones save the motor, motor worm and worm gear.

Pete
Pretty simple from a business perspective.
In their ledger, they now have one less claim on the books, and one more satisfied customer.

·
Admin
43,510 Posts
Pretty simple from a business perspective.
In their ledger, they now have one less claim on the books, and one more satisfied customer.
Well, maybe not quite so mad, but I'd stop short of "satisfied" after this fiasco. :D

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, maybe not quite so mad, but I'd stop short of "satisfied" after this fiasco. :D
Yeah, I wouldn't want to say I'm satisfied by any means. I really want Rutland steam. But, not all is lost, I'm going to re-letter my NH ten wheeler to Rutland and get Harry to weather it for me. Order one or two Cab1L with the refund and stash the rest for future purchases. Glad it's over.

·
Admin
43,510 Posts
I didn't really figure you were "happy", that would be a stretch. I'd still love to know what Lionel wasn't telling us about the Mogul, there must have been some basic frame design issue to preclude them fixing them.

I'm just guessing, but I wonder if it wasn't something like super sloppy manufacturing tolerances that varied for each unit, which is why one fix didn't fix them all. It won't be the first time that stuff like this has happened.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
So the $64 Million question is....... If Lionel were to catalog Moguls again, would you pre-order one????? :D

David

P.S. If there is ANY silver lining in all of this, it's the fact that the Mogul issue surface VERY quickly on the forums. And my hat is off to all of you who brought this to our attention. Because of your early reports, I returned TWO unopened Moguls to the dealer. Yes... it cost me shipping. But given all that folks like Gary went through, I consider myself very, VERY lucky that I avoided this whole mess. Thanks for alerting us, Gary. Seems like just yesterday. But I realize it was probably closer to 3 years ago that these jewels were catalog'd, and 2 years ago since they arrived Stateside with all these problems. :eek:

P

·
0 Posts
What would have been better is for Lionel to give you a refund and a gift certificate for all of the trouble they have caused you. Maybe in today's environment, it is asking too much to put the consumer first and demonstrate this through their actions.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
What would have been better is for Lionel to give you a refund and a gift certificate for all of the trouble they have caused you. Maybe in today's environment, it is asking too much to put the consumer first and demonstrate this through their actions.
Brian, absolutely agree 1,000%. Sadly in today's world, despite all the advanced technology, more things are pushed down to the consumer level to resolve. And our time is as valuable as the next person's. The folks at Lionel get paid their salary when they're dealing with all these problems. We as the consumer, however, get zero... zilch.... nada... when we're driving the problem to its resolution. Oh yes.... I forgot, we hopefully get the problem resolved EVENTUALLY. And that's supposed to give us "satisfaction". But in this case, Gary didn't even get that. Instead, he eventually got his money back, but not a cent for all the time he spent taking ownership of resolving the problem.

Welcome to customer service in 2019. :(

David

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
.... I'm hoping Lionel has turned a corner with their QA issues. They better, and if that Hudson has issues.:rippedhand::eyes::goofball::sly::eek:hwell:
Gary, I don't think Lionel will be doing a darn thing differently in 2019 than they've been doing for the past few years. They manage the QC/QA problems by reacting to emergency situations as they occur. That's their culture, and I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise for now.

I pre-ordered one of the special-run Hudsons from Pat's Trains for ONE reason... and ONLY one reason: because I was told by Lionel's Ryan Kunkle that the factory that's been slated to build the Hudsons will be the same factory that made the VisionLine Niagaras. And I was very happy with the VL Niagara. If I didn't have that assurance, I would have skipped the Hudson altogether.

So all we can really do is hope for a similar experience with the Hudson as we got with the Niagara. But I steered clear of pre-ordering anything to do with passenger cars, because of all the manufacturing sloppiness -- both at the beginning of 2018 with 21" cars and the end of 2018 with heavyweight cars. Lionel and passenger cars just don't go in the same sentence anymore for me when I'm passing out accolades. :(

David

C

·
0 Posts
Gary, I'm glad that this was resolved. It may not be the best solution but at least you are getting your money back, but I agree with Brian that after almost 2 years of grief they should have given your money back plus something extra for all the aggravation.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Getting a refund on a 600 dollar engine is one thing, could you see that happening on a 1400 engine???????
Ironically, 6 years ago (almost seems like yesterday)... we did receive refunds directly from Lionel when things went south with their Pennsy S2 Turbines. Can't recall the street price I paid. But it was a $1300 MSRP locomotive, and the entire batch was recalled rather quickly and painlessly due to moisture/rust affectiing the locomotives. Heck, even the staples in my instruction guide were rusty!!! :eek: Never quite heard officially what happened, but it was rumored that the foam liner hadn't cured properly before the locomotives were packaged. :eek: In retrospect, a very expensive mistake -- quite possibly handled by insurance.

From what I understand, most of the locos were scrapped. But a small handful were reportedly sold for something like $500-$600/each as "refurbished units" at Lionel's warehouse event in November that year.

David

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues with the Mogul. But on the positive side you got a refund which I am sure you will put to good use!

-Pete

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
From what I understand, most of the locos were scrapped. But a small handful were reportedly sold for something like $500-$600/each as "refurbished units" at Lionel's warehouse event in November that year.

David
If I lived closer I would be checking their dumpster every day. These are sweet engines when running right. I wouldn't pay that much for them though, maybe half that.

Pete

1 - 20 of 34 Posts