Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been thinking about this for a while. I'm kind of interested in starting my own publication of a model train magazine. I would be really committed to this. I already have a few stories that I could put in the first issue, but I need more. If any of you would be interested in writing stories Bi-monthly, I think we could do something great. I might first start it by doing an email magazine, and then if we get enough people, go to a print version and get them mailed out. Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, this is just a little idea of what it will look like. I'm still in the process of getting it to the final stage.

magazine7e6b0ae4697bcc19c0815b7d0682db0ba24e43b3.jpg

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
To be honest, a blog is probably the best way to start. Crank it out for a while, get a few regular readers and maybe make a buck from (sublte) advertising like adsense or similar.

Then I guess the natural progression would be something like the online MRH (Model Railroad Hobbyist) magazine. Instead of a printed magazine. I think print media is too expensive to be thinking about, especially in the short term, I'd remove if from the equation almost completely.

I'd start with:
A (free) blog, pick a good name.
Regular content, doesnt matter what the intervas are, just pick something and stick to it.
Focus on good content.
Show consistency.
Have a set of standards, stick to them.
Dont plagurise.
Credit other peoples ideas when/where possible.

Do this and regular visitors will follow.

Down the track you can focus on:
Bringin other writers onboard.
Finding advertisers.
Increasing publication intervals.
Going to a different format... a dedicated website / interactive download / something I havent thought of.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's a good idea, however, my mind is just thinking, maybe for something special, a hard copy with be good. I don't know maybe for 1 year mark or something. I do however need help on this whole thing though.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I like the idea, but price the print and it will scare you right out of it!
I would agree on a blog or a web site!
And yes the name is super important!
I worked for months to come up with the right name.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would only be printing paper copies out of my printer, but I can't do it by myself. I'm going to need other people helping on the website to.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
...but I can't do it by myself. I'm going to need other people helping on the website to.
Thats why I said, start with a blog. Just a free wordpress type one. You can do it yourself, super easy.

Prove your site is worth reading, then people will be jumping at the chance to join the team :D

And if you do a blog, over say a printed thing, I can read it here in Australia :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
First name that came to my mind was Steel Horse.

I like the blog idea too. If you go that route, than you can develope a fan base and eventually companies like Bachman, Kato, and the likes might be willing to spopnsor you. I'm no expert in this kind of thing, but I would guess the adds are what pays for the mag's printing costs.

I used to draw a lot of comic strips when I was younger, so try and leave room in your format for a comic or two. Also, a section on reader's layouts would be good too where they would show photos and how they did it. Maybe a tips and tricks section. This, for me anyways, is what makes me buy any train mag. If it has something in it I can learn.

It's been years since I created any sort of comic strip, but I might be able to do one or two free of charge, at least until you are able to get published.

Lorne

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright. Currently I have working on a website. Getting all the formats and everything together. Will let you guys know when its done!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking forward to it John

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, I give Mavryk credit for coming up with the name. Today I got the main page done, as I am going to work on the forum part tomorrow.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well right now I'm trying to earn some spare $$$ to pay for the sight. It is almost complete and the design is quite good if I do say so myself. I posed some things for sale on this website but nothing as sold. Once I sell those and make some spare money, the website should be about done.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Totally forgot about this thread after the whole problem. Heres an update. Webs.com was the website I was hosting the thing on. I got an email saying that someone claimed copyright on a picture that I took that I uploaded. I tried to message the used who flagged the picture but no luck. Few days go by and I get on to edit the site and a messages saying, Site Closed. There is no more sight as whoever the guy was flagged almost my whole site. Sorry, but to many idiots out there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not much of a tech guy so I don't know what you mean. They were my images I took with my camera.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts