Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lionel Legacy Tacoma Rail SD70 Ace I received a couple days ago is equipped with the Bluetooth operating software. So time to experiment. Got my Apple smart phone, pulled up the App and connected to Lionel's Bluetooth operating system. All went well, connected to the loco on first attempt. Been running the diesel for 2 days with my phone which is kind of cool but is somewhat cumbersome compared to my DCS controller with MTH locos.. I would think if I had the Legacy system I would also prefer that controller vs the smart phone. So, after a couple days using my phone, I will be running the Tacoma Rail SD70 with my TMCC controller.

Bill

·
Admin
44,342 Posts
My problem with Lionel's BT is the locomotives I have with it seem to have very limited range. I tried both with the LC Universal Remote and a couple of different Android Smart Phones and my iPad. It's not surprising that steamers have range issues, but maybe they should have thought about where the BT receiver was before putting it inside a diecast can! 😣

·
Registered
465 Posts
I like to mess around with Bluetooth too. Like you, I cast it aside at some point and go back to the remote. That reminds me, I was telling my brother-in-law that MTH is going to phase out their DCS remote. I should say I was boring him. He is not a train guy. However, I thought his perspective was interesting.

He said, "I'd ditch them (MTH) in a heartbeat. That's why I use Amazon Firestick or Roku instead of Google Chromecast. Because the Firestick and Roku come with a remote. I hate messing with a touchscreen when I'm watching TV".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts