Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Bachmann unmarked bobber caboose...

...and want to separate the cab from the frame to paint it and decal it with some neat old fashioned AT&SF decals.

But how do you get it to come apart without destroying it. It had 4 locking tabs wrapping around the bottom frame so I removed all of them with a knife, but the top still won't budge.

Anyone got any ideas besides setting fire to it to melt the top off?:confused:

Greg

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I had also considered that, but the screws are located well into the black decking on each side and have no connection point to the red cab.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Choo choo,

Maybe post an undercarriage pic. Or, maybe your's looks like this:

You say you "removed" the four "holder tabs". And did ya' try a little old-fashioed "pursuasion" between the cab and frame after that? Any chance that there's a flange on the upper side of the frame that's glued to the inside of the cab? Hopefully not.

Sorry I can't offer more ...

TJ

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a pic of the bottom. It's somewhat similar to yours except with far less detail...

The red edges had tabs which I cut off, and thought it would just pop right off. I think it's glued on and don't want to destroy it trying to separate the cab, so I got a twin truck bobber caboose kit to build that looks sort of like this one...

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts