Model Train Forum banner

661 - 680 of 708 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Nice progress John. Everything appears to be very smooth.

Saw your track bumper. Perfect for what we need in the roundhouse as a bumper.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Great videooJohn. Love cab ride videos and the tour of the layout was great.

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #665
Thanks guys! It's slowly taking shape, I was pleased that at least a small locomotive made it all around without so much as a wobble, now I just have to test all the other loops. I do see a couple of switches where I need to tweak the switch machines to get cleaner operation, that should be easy. :) I have a lot more experience with Gargraves Flex track now, that's for sure! :D

On to the wiring...

Nice progress John. Everything appears to be very smooth.

Saw your track bumper. Perfect for what we need in the roundhouse as a bumper.
I did a "roll your own" on most of the turntable tracks, just a couple of left-over ties from the flex track. I also have some Atlas track bumpers, they are a perfect fit for Gargraves and Ross track, so that's a plus.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,207 Posts
All right ! (y)
At last we have smoke, well maybe not smoke but a train running.:)
Good thing it isn't smoking we wouldn't be able to see.
You need a couple Captain bar chairs for you guys to sit on while running.
Been a long time coming, Looking good. (y)

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #668
All right ! (y)
At last we have smoke, well maybe not smoke but a train running.:)
Good thing it isn't smoking we wouldn't be able to see.
You need a couple Captain bar chairs for you guys to sit on while running.
Been a long time coming, Looking good. (y)
It's not smoking because I turned that off so we could see! :D I made the mistake of running one of these with smoke at the NJ-HR on the same locomotive, and the smoke was a distraction. I'll be sorting out the seating after all the wiring is taken care of. I think I'll have to have a landscape party or two to get some nice scenery in place, that's certainly not my strong suit. Technical and mechanical, I'm fine with, artistic stuff, I'm not quite so fine. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Looking Fantastic, John. With so many people cheering you on, it must be at least a little overwhelming at times; at least whelming, lol.
I'm still looking for the S gauge peeps I told you about quite a while ago. I have a daughter all ready to jump in and help me paint them, and she's better at fine detail than I, so hopefully soon!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Cool video, and a beautiful, neatly constructed layout. And big, at 140 feet your loop is longer than my longest (135 feet, and I only have alittle over 300 feet in total - you look to have much much more!!

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #672
Thanks guys, looking forward to actually being able to run trains on a real layout. :)
Cool video, and a beautiful, neatly constructed layout. And big, at 140 feet your loop is longer than my longest (135 feet, and I only have alittle over 300 feet in total - you look to have much much more!!
Five feet isn't exactly much, my layout program could make that big an error. :D I think our track amounts are pretty close, I just checked what my layout program has for what I actually have down, it's 356 feet, that counts everything like the turntable whisker tracks, switches, etc. Once I add the 8-track yard, that will run up the total a bit, but that's in the future a few months, I need to get this part running first.

·
Registered
176 Posts
8 track yard. Wow, I hope to see photo of that. How much real estate do you think that will take up? Feet X feet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
12 feet yard, wow. That would be special. I would still like to see photo after it is down. 12 feet is where my layout turns. I am going to walk off mumbling and daydreaming now.
12 foot yard, wow.

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #676
Well, a 12 foot yard isn't all that long for O-scale cars, it fills up quickly! :D Here's my hidden 3-track yard, when I took the shelf out, I had this unused space, so I plopped the track down to give me more storage space, these are around 14 feet. The near end is a removable section to allow me access to the sump pump that's under it, just in case. I originally was going to stop at the edge of the benchwork, then I realized that I could have three more feet on each track just by putting a shelf there! A chunk of 3/4" plywood, some dowels to align it, and it just drops in place and the power drops plug in under the table.

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #678
Rolling on, I mounted my power panel and all the stuff on it, I have almost all the track power wiring done, and I'm moving on to the switch wiring. Since all the switches will be connected to the LCS CSM2 and of course the serial data for command control, each switch gets a home run back to the panel, and the double-slip switches with two switch machines get two home runs!

Of course, I realized that I was going to need more real-estate for the power and control panel stuff, so I added a second panel.

I have about half the CSM2 Breakout Boards for the DZ-2500 switch machines mounted, working on the other half, then I'll be running the CAT5 cable runs back to the control panel location.

Here's an example of some of the controls on the fascia, my maintenance track, lift-bridge controls, and my yard tracks all have controls. The yard and maintenance tracks even got pilot lights to tell me when they're energized. :)

I'm determined, someday I'm actually going to run trains on this layout! :D

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I’m looking forward to a new GRJ thread with the same title as the one that LateStarter used a few months ago. “Finally! Trains are Running”

661 - 680 of 708 Posts