Model Train Forum banner

701 - 708 of 708 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Tsk, Tsk :giggle: Could of used one of these as the interface between the lift bridge patch cable and the solid core run to the punch down blocks. But its all good info for other members needing wiring solutions

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
Well, it would be as much work to install four jacks for the four CAT5 cables as it would be to splice them. Since the bridge ain't going anywhere now, a permanent splice seems like the proper route. Truthfully, if I had enough of the patch cable stranded CAT5 on hand, I'd have just made those four cables home runs like all the others.

Progress last night, we got all the switch machines connected to the CAT5 cable, and half of the cables terminated at the punch-down blocks. Most of the initial wiring is now in place under the table, just have to do the stuff at the power/control panel.

The one area left is to wire the turntable. I'm thinking of a small panel that may be under a trackside building with the manual controls to the turntable. All the controls will be is my 16 position rotary switch, a button to turn the selected whisker track on/off, and the on-off-on TT rotation direction switch. Those can be on a very compact little panel that can be hidden on the layout. The turntable will also have remote control using three SC-2 TMCC boxes.

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
Getting closer. :) Got all the wires terminated in the punch-down block from the individual switch locations. Now I have to do a little wiring and add the terminal strips for the various functions, serial data, switch position, and switch power at my panel. Once those are all tied in, I should be able to program all the switches with TMCC addresses and finally have control of the switches! Then I need to get the turntable working under full power and command control...

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Got all the switches running under TMCC control, and I can run trains. Also got my Watchdog generators installed on all the secondary tracks to keep any PS/2 or PS/3 engines quiet when power is switched. Things are taking shape and trains are running.
I have to wire my turntable controls and I'll have full control of the layout from the remote.

Attachments

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #707

·
Admin
44,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
The new piece is the turntable is fully functional under TMCC control! I added three SC-2 controllers to switch each of the 16 whisker tracks and to control CW and CCW rotation of the turntable. After a short break to replace one of the SC-2's that had a couple of non-working relays, it's all working.

I mounted the SC-2 boxes close to the TT wiring block to minimize the runs for all the track power leads.

I've also parked up my hidden yard tracks, that is much easier when you can manipulate the switches to provide access to them!

701 - 708 of 708 Posts