Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
My personal preference is for Gargraves flextrack. It is very realistic in appearance and you can make any curve radius you need or want plus you can route it anywhere you want it to go. To me, Fastrack is not nearly as realistic and very unforgiving as far as routing it where you want. Last year I converted 565 feet of tubular track to all Gargraves. Very happy with the result. Have fun with whatever you decide to use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
JTA, thanks, to what radius can you bend the Gargraves. I though about Atlas flex and someone remarked that it was
great and he suggested maybe to not try to bend Atlas to less than an O-36 curve.

Oh, and what Gargraves type do you use, the hollow tubular stainless steel type? I do like the Atlas for it's solid nickel silver rails

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Gargraves can be bend into just about any diameter curve but it does get difficult for tight curves. I’ve gotten as low as about 36”. Not terribly difficult with new track, but not easy with older track. I even have a short section to about 27”, but it was not fun. For tight curves, I’ve been using Ross O31 or Gargraves O32 sectional track.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have bent Gargraves to a 27" radius and it is difficult to get that tight of a curve. I always spray the track where it slides through the ties with WD40 before I bend it. It makes it 10 times easier than no lube and a little alcohol on a towel takes it right off before running trains on the installed track. I also installed all my track on 1/4" cork roadbed which I made myself. Initially I made a jig to bend the track but after the first few pieces I found it much easier and faster to just draw the curves on the layout in pencil then install up to the pencil line. It comes out perfect every time. Works great on the straights too. Also found that cutting the rails with a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel is the best way to trim. Just need a small file to remove the burrs after cutting. I even bought a bunch of used Gargraves for a really good price. You lose a little to damage but the savings are spectacular. Yes I love Gargraves switches and use Circuitron 6000 Tortoise motors for them mounted under the table. Also there are other options for the motors. Hope this helps with the learning curve.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I'm strictly Fastrack. I've never had a problem. Also when I was getting back into the hobby, it was the only track available in my area. I didn't know anything about Gargraves or Atlas. Menards hadn't opened yet.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts