Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Digging through my gifted train cars, I came across this THB "OddBall" to me. I am guessing you know what I have here and what this boxcar did...and it did do something automation wise, as there are 2 horizonal rollers and 4 vertical rollers internally, with a full open cutout on top where the missing walkway would be. It was powered somehow by a rubberband. Nothing on the trucks suggest gears or pulley's. The door guides are actually aluminum too. Any clues? It really has me stumped, but being the blonde gal that I am, that's pretty easy.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Asphalt Wood Road surface

The black middle has 2 indentations suggesting some sort of mechnism, like a figurine with a box, may have click into that position? Again no clue...nothing else in the gifted car box suggests there is more to this car.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dennis you are the MAN!
Found it!
TYCO #T326B, ANIMATED BRAKEMAN BOX CAR
Amber Rectangle Font Window Gas

DESCRIPTION: This is a very rare Tyco HO scale #T326B, Animated Brakeman Box car TH&B RR. Includes painted brakeman (almost always missing and impossible to find) that moves back an forth on top of car.
Wheel Rolling Art Gas Font

Toy Wood Lego Toy block Plastic

Okay, that is half the battle! Now I need to figure out how he was attached to the rubberband and how was the rubberband routed around the trucks and pulleys???? I can always jury rig a brakeman, just have to figure out the internals...now to find a website with the inside information.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Dennis you are the MAN!
Found it!
TYCO #T326B, ANIMATED BRAKEMAN BOX CAR
View attachment 585271
DESCRIPTION: This is a very rare Tyco HO scale #T326B, Animated Brakeman Box car TH&B RR. Includes painted brakeman (almost always missing and impossible to find) that moves back an forth on top of car.
View attachment 585272

View attachment 585273

Okay, that is half the battle! Now I need to figure out how he was attached to the rubberband and how was the rubberband routed around the trucks and pulleys???? I can always jury rig a brakeman, just have to figure out the internals...now to find a website with the inside information.
SF Gal;
In one of your photos you can just see a tiny wire hook coming out of the brakeman's "foot." (the one with the large round base attached) The running board has a slot for most of its length. I suspect the little hook went down through this slot and the rubber band was threaded through the hook and around the two top white pulleys on the mechanisms at each end.

Traction Fan

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I too kind of concluded the same as you but that doesn't explain how the rubberband turns unless there was another band on the lower pulleys to the truck axils on each end...maybe?
Font Line Parallel Auto part Illustration

You would think if the upper rubberband was broken inside the boxcar, the others I depict in my illustration would be too?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Okay SF Gal, after studying the pic's for a little bit, here's my guess....................

At each truck: One short rubberband from a wheel axle up to a black pulley. Then one short rubberband from the black pulley over to a lower white pulley.

With two trucks, that's 4 short rubberbands. Then of course, your long rubberband across the top around the upper white pulleys. For a grand total of 5 rubberbands (4 short and one long). Place the box car shell back on the frame and secure.

The brakeman is simply placed in the slot above the open doors, and by reaching in you simply slip one long band into the wire hook on the brakeman's base. Shut the doors, and you're ready for the brakeman to walk the roof.

I dunno, whadaya think? :unsure:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...after studying the pic's for a little bit, here's my guess.......One short rubberband from a wheel axle up to a black pulley....one short rubberband from the black pulley over to a lower white pulley.....With two trucks, that's 4 short rubberbands. Then of course......For a grand total of 5 rubberbands (4 short and one long)......The brakeman is simply placed in the slot above the open doors.... you're ready for the brakeman to walk the roof...I dunno, whadaya think? :unsure:
That could work! I like your way of thinking...now, to find the right sized rubberbands!
I think I can get this animation to work.
I wonder if there were instructions in the box when it was new….? :unsure:
Would be nice to have the box...there has to be instructions to allow the purchaser to assemble the figurine on top of the boxcar, right?!?! I can't find any more info on the boxcar on the internet. I know we have various websites, specific to parts breakdown for locomotives through the past decades, I wonder if some of those websites have the directions?

·
Registered
692 Posts
That could work! I like your way of thinking...now, to find the right sized rubberbands!
I think I can get this animation to work.
I got to thinking afterwards, maybe use two rubberbands per wheel set up to the black pulleys. If only using one, and it can't be centered on the wheel axle and the black pulley, it may cause a little undue side pressure on the truck, and hamper the truck's ability to run straight & true down the rails and thru the curves (i.e., potential derailment problems).

·
Premium Member
MTH O gauge engines,mongrel rolling stock
273 Posts
Very intriguing and clever car, and adding some animation,. Curious if the truck wheel sets that has the drive bands has a "fat diameter " rubber(?) cylinder rather than the normal skinny axle.
Imagine the rolling resistance drag on the train, so suppose it would be up close to loco so car would not string-line the train if in middle.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been trying to make rubberbands to various widths and lengths needed for the contraption to work, without much sucess. I have to dig around my junk drawers for smaller band, I have the big ones handy currently.
I got to thinking afterwards, maybe use two rubberbands per wheel set up to the black pulleys. If only using one, and it can't be centered on the wheel axle and the black pulley, it may cause a little undue side pressure on the truck, and hamper the truck's ability to run straight & true down the rails and thru the curves (i.e., potential derailment problems).
I understand about the bands, I thought the same.
....Curious if the truck wheel sets that has the drive bands has a "fat diameter " rubber(?) cylinder rather than the normal skinny axle.
The original axils are very skinny and I was able to mimic the operation with a homemade band, The skinny axil causes the brakeman to move slowly to and fro, along the walkway, do to the skinny axils.Fat axils would cause a speedy guy.
The whole animation is really amazing a company actually engineered and built one of these. If I get too flustrated with the design I am going to run it on the layout and borrow my cousins BB gun...it would make for a great target practice!!!
I bet most of them met a similar fate!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I remember shooting at a small bottle of Pactra enamel model paint with a BB gun when I was a kid, thinking I could knock it over.

I did far better than that - I shattered it, coating the basement wall and the top of the dresser with a coating of blue enamel paint!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Boy, did I ever have to hurry up and do some serious cleaning before my mom got home and my brothers rat me out and get me in all kinds of trouble!!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts