Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted the pictures below not because they are a pristine 365 but a variation noted in Greenberg's Guide 1991 (Book 2) under "Variations". Note that the "B" unit has no numbers but is stamped at the end. I originally purchased them with no intention of restoration since I already have a 365 in excellent condition and so would just use them for parts and not caring about the missing numbers. However, now after noticing the variation comes the debate as to whether restore or not.

IMG_20200523_192726-2.jpg

IMG_20200523_192846-2.jpg

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I just looked in my trusty variation rarity guide published by Bob and Dave. It lists the end stamped variation as 1951 only and a rarity of 3 compared with 2+ for a standard 365. The value premium is 10%. I do not believe it. In my collecting career and visiting hundreds of large train shows my personal experience is more like 25 normal 365's for every end stamped B unit. I would not restore that set. Fantastic acquisition.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your comments. I will take your advise and not restore them other than clean the motors and E-unit so they will run properly. I would assume that the rarity rating in the guide might be somewhat based on the premace that the majority of these are in rough condition as mine are. This is a rare instance where a good thing can happen even when you're not paying attention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts