Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... from ebay.

The first is a garden variety AHM (made in Autria/Roco) boxcar from the 60s or 70s. I hadn't see an FEC car in blue paint (yet) so I picked it up. The first pic is from the listing. I did not notice those brass wheels.

A Frankenstein job for sure. Wheelsets with brass on one side and plastic on the other? From a lighted passenger car perhaps?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The second is a car from Train Miniature. The address on the instruction sheet put it as made in the 70s.

The plastic "jewel" type box and the styrene sheet the car body was nested in probably cost more then the car itself.

First time I've seen wheelsets on a sprue.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I built a number of those TM hoppers back in the 1970's.

I had a problem with the truck screws. Even with very "light tightening" they would strip out the plastic in the car body during assembly. The trucks and underframe couldn't be secured to the body.

I ended up using screws with nuts to hold the trucks to the the underframe.

I then cut a small piece of wood as a "spacer", and use a single screw at the "center screw" position to hold the bodies on.

The cars are still running on my new layout, almost 50 years later.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Been a while since I've seen NMRA couplers.
The trucks on the AHM car might be tender trucks.
But interestingly, the flanges appear code 88. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
This is a TM car I've had for decades.
It was the first car I've ever weathered.
trnmnture_002.jpg

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trucks on the AHM car.

The truck side frames are cast [pot] metal and appear to have been cast onto the sheet metal coupler... receptacle. One thing is for sure, there will be no swapping of the wheelsets on those couplers because there is zero flex. OTOH, they wouldn't have a problem supporting a ten pound car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Those sure look like tyco trucks to me. Possibly from a lighted caboose? Very tiny and lightweight steel spring inside coupler box. Not worth it ( by my experience) fiddling with to become knuckle couplers. I ended up using a dremel cut off wheel to eliminate that entire flange for the coupler box. Of course I Mounted new draft boxes to the cars.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the trucks/couplers and the lug nuts holding them on are in the junk bin. I glued/hammered in a piece of sprue in the hole left by the lug nuts. New trucks in the KaDee box...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Based on the rivet, those look like mantua (parent company of Tyco) trucks. Mantua loved their rivets!
I've found that the ones I have run well, though I don't think I have many of the plastic/metal variety (all metal on mine). In general I've un-riveted them, put a KD 148 in there and glued or the cover back on. Because the center portion is metal, it's not too hard to bend them to make minor adjustments for coupler height.

Nothing wrong with upgrading, but they're easy to wire up, so don't toss them if you think you might want to try lighting up a cheap caboose sometime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts