Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to solder, done it all my life working in electronics. Not so much anymore, difficult to hit the mark with a soldering gun or iron with one hand and applying solder with the other. Add holding two wires together and it becomes impossible.

That situation arose yesterday. Then I remembered this x-acto tool that I had around somewhere, but couldn't remember where. Hadn't seen it for years. I looked everywhere, not to be found. Didn't give up, went through four workshops, basement, two car garage, four car garage, shed, Nothing, nada. Well, it will be the last place you look dummy (it's always the last place you look of course) I told myself, so I went through everything again, and in the last drawer I opened, way in the back I found the thing.

Worth the trouble, I couldn't have done it without it. Varney Die cast "Super" Pacific second edition. Heat shrink tubing sealed the deal.

Copied and pasted from the Cox Engine Forum.
https://servimg.com/view/19152833/6213
Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize
More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010519

https://servimg.com/view/19152833/6214
More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010520

https://servimg.com/view/19152833/6215
More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010521

https://servimg.com/view/19152833/6216
More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010522

rsv1cox
rsv1coxTop Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Favorite Cox Engine : My first Space Bug Jr. and any Enya

View user profile Send private message Send e-mail

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Since I rarely put my tools away when I finish a job, I generally have to search for them like you did the next time I need them (or buy another to find the first). My “helping hands” is an exception. I have a place for it and actually put it in its place when I am done. Couldn’t do most soldering jobs without it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
What I find difficult is soldering under the benchwork. Even a pair of wires already twisted together is a challenge trying to keep the iron tip on the joint while holding the solder in the other hand and nothing holding the wire except the pressure from the iron.

Some wires are very delicate like those coming from signals and semaphores and don't like a lot of applied pressure.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
What I find difficult is soldering under the benchwork. Even a pair of wires already twisted together is a challenge trying to keep the iron tip on the joint while holding the solder in the other hand and nothing holding the wire except the pressure from the iron.
My layout is about a foot off the floor so under layout soldering is really nasty. Lately I usually leave the wires extra long so I can do the soldering in the open. Then I coil the extra wire and stow it under the platform.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A valuable tool indeed! I have the radio shack version. Looks the same just not quite the same quality as the e-Xacto brand. I do happen to know where mine is presently.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
What I find difficult is soldering under the benchwork.
When I read this I had a bit of inspiration that might be of use to you. There are wood clamps that will open up enough to clamp onto a 2x4 and hold it firmly. What if you mounted one of these 'helping hands' devices to a clamp? Then you could move it near where your wiring is mounted and at least provide some support for the wires you are working on.

There are other styles of these devices available now. I picked up one off ebay which has six arms of the bendable plastic bubbles so you can really get in there and hold everything together. I typically use three or four of the arms, arranged so two arms support the wires, and one or two others hold the ends in position for soldering. Somehow two clips just never seemed to be enough when you have wires trying to flop all over the place. There's also enough arms here to hold up a circuit board and position a component you need to solder to the board.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Wouldn't be without my "Helpful Hands"!! I actually picked two sets with small magnifying lens waaaay back when at American Science & Hobby(Now Surplus) in Milwaukee!! Now the kids have given me Illuminated Lamp with Magnifying Lens for the last two Christmas presents from Santa.....great additions to any work bench!! Glad you found your other Hands!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts