Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

The EMD SD70 series of models has models such as SD70ACe-P4, SD70ACe-P6, SD70ACe-T4, and SD70-ACe-T4P4. Are these models currently on the market ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Yup.
MTH, Athearn Genesis, and Walthers Mainline, for starters. You should probably get familiar with Google.

Reactions: cid

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Are those nomenclatures from the prototype world or model?
In some instances, the prototype uses a different nomenclature than the modeling world even though its the same locomotive.
OK, I just checked Wikipedia and I see where ya got those model numbers.
Some railroads have specific requirements when they order their locomotives. The slight variations between general models are usually not modeled by the model makers. You might be able to find those specific models in brass though, or you could have it special built by a brass builder.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
99% of these designations are for things the modeler can't see... like cab electronics, etc.

Reactions: cid

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think LateStarter is absolutely right!
Try a little Google on those model numbers. You will find a lot of information regarding the visual
differences. (mostly nil)
Slap your loco number on it and call it what you will (IMO) 😅

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Also note that the DC traction version of the SD70ACe is marketed as SD70M-2 (rather than SD70DCe).

MTH SD70ACe and MTH SD70M-2: New HO SD70ACe and SD70M-2 Locomotive Configurations Announced | MTH ELECTRIC TRAINS

Walthers: EMD SD70ACe - Standard DC -- CSX Transportation #4835 (blue, yellow, white)

Athearn Genesis: Search Results: ATHG SD70ACe: Athearn Trains

LateStarter gave you the correct answer for HO scale. (In N scale, Fox Valley Models makes the SD70ACe. MTH also makes an O scale SD70ACe.)

You won't find anything listed with the "P4/P6" suffix. Just SD70ACe.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Athearn Genesis also makes the SD70AH model. Pretty much like the SD70Ace.
I'll be posting a short video here in the next couple days of the SD70AH in DPU service on my empire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts