Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Acrylic? These tend to be flexible, slippery plastics. Are you sure it isn't styrene or polyester resin? Or maybe acetal plastic?

I'd go with Don's advice and use cyanoacrylate (CA), commonly called super glue. I'm not hard up on the "go cheap" rule -- I buy a 2 oz container of Gorilla Glue (the CA version, not the brown stuff), Sinbad, Jet, or Zap. They all work well. Buy a pack of disposable applicator tips. After spreading the glue, pull the applicator tip off and throw it away, then wipe the bottle with a rag moistened in acetone, and those big containers last for a long, long time. Some companies sell various viscosities; I tend to like the thicker stuff. You can also buy accelerants to spray on after you position the parts to get them to cure faster.

Basically, though, if you've tried other adhesives, and they cured without damaging the plastic (48 hrs, to be sure), then they're fine to use. Acetal plastics can also be quite slippery, and many times adhesion is improved by roughing up the parts to be joined with 400 grit sandpaper before applying glue.

Don is right about testing SOLVENT-based paints before you use them, but I've never heard of an acrylic paint damaging plastic before. Again, test before use, and then use whatever works best for you. I believe that Krylon is a solvent based paint, so you're probably fine. Sometimes manufacturers recommend products to keep their lawyers happy, or because they own the other brand as well.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Thanks for saying CA is super glue. Never would have known that. And yes I just verified on CMR website...

"Kit features laser cut acrylic parts, tanks, piping and signs, everything you see is included in the kit (rolling stock not included). Tab and slot construction, detailed instructions and photos help with assembly."
And yet thousands, probably millions don't know that, so forgive me for not knowing you weren't one of them. I have personally participated in several threads in which people recommed CA, only to have someone either ask if super glue would work, or recommend it separately from CA.

I've never heard of a model referred to as acrylic before. That's a new one on me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.