Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This feels like a silly question. Are there any DCC decoders that are all in one? Sound and DCC function together, or do you need both separate? The reason I ask is that while looking at the wiring on a few different models online, the sound decoder has leads to the motor. I'm not sure why the sound board would connect directly to the motor unless it's a basic DCC decoder as well as sound.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Kind of what I figured, but most only talk about the sounds and not the speed control etc that the non sounds versions talk so much about.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
You have to be careful not to fall for the marketing hype. Of course, the manufacturer of a non-sound decoder is going to hype how well it can dial in motor performance. Sound guys try to compete on sound. Basically, the non-sound decoders haven't changed all that much in the last ten years or so. I'm still buying more or less the same ones I always have. Sound is where everyone's energy is these days (I don't want sound, for the simple reason that it doesn't scale properly).

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's intended for N; the 0001913 might be a better selection. Not a lot of info on the web- apparently they make some decoders for MRC. For $30 you might take a chance...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's intended for N; the 0001913 might be a better selection. Not a lot of info on the web- apparently they make some decoders for MRC. For $30 you might take a chance...:rolleyes:
?? Says HO. 1913 looks like the same thing but in two pairs with PIN connectors. None of my locos are DCC ready.

·
Registered
478 Posts
1611 is a 1 Amp Decoder. It might be OK for you. I guess I would try it, probably easier.

1913 is a 1.5 Amp Decoder. The speaker is probably a bit larger. Not that familiar with them. I don't think MRC has the best decoder reputation.
Hope some others might chip in with sound decoder experiences... :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts