Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2353 two motor engine and wonder if it would be possible to add a horn to it (either the original horn or something new / improved). Can this be done?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this old train from the 50's is an AC powered train. All the newer stuff is DC. I'm guessing all the new sound effect stuff will only work with the newer DC trains (?) I'm looking for something I can retro-fit into the old 2353 engine. I don't have the dummy. I've heard that the horn on those is pretty lame anyway. My transformer has the whistle lever. I just thought it would be cool to add on some sound if it were possible and not too expensive. I appreciate any ideas or links.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K line 691HMDK075 I did a quick google search and just found where I could order it, but no real info. Will it work with an old AC train?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok, I on the hook. Does K-line make other sound boards. My girls would love sounds on our old lionel trains.

·
Admin
44,010 Posts
I suppose they do, but you have to make sure you can fit it inside the engine. I just put an electronic E-Unit inside a very small locomotive, I had to do some serious hacking to get it to fit!

The sound boards at a bit smaller, and you might also consider another option. The Lionel 125 Whistle House. Here's one that's about to go for $12 plus shipping on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lionel-125-Whistle-Shack-PostWar-PS1011115-/350414695213?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item519657eb2d

Here's one with six days on the auction and starting at $10. http://cgi.ebay.com/LIONEL-125-WHISTLING-STATION-/220700999241?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3362cdfe49

·
Registered
115 Posts
This was from http://www.traindoctor.com

Do you need both the Horn and the mother board? Is the horn just a speaker? Will this work with the older lionel tranformers with Wistle buttons (like the KW)?

691-HMDK-075 PCB Diesel Horn $12.00 Order
691-MDK0-73M Motherboard for A5 MDK-073 $15.00 Order

·
Registered
115 Posts
the whistle house will be smilar to the whistle in my tender (came with my 2026 engine). I have heard some very realistic horn sounds coming from newer engines. They even change pitch. Dose this sound board have a realistic horn sound? I have a F3 Lionel Santa Fe that needs to be heard!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok, am I correct in thinking it is as easy and circuiting this electronic module to a pickup (middle rail) and ground wheel (outer rail) in Engine or box car. Then you just connect a small speaker and you are done?

What am I missing, it has to be harder then this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Anybody know of location on internet where you can hear these modules? Youtube, etc.? I will go take a look, may get lucky.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No luck on youtube. Found a few K-line engins deisel, but they were making all kinds of sounds. Must be somesort of rail sound module or Proto Sound (not familar with K-line equipment, using MTH lingo).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts