Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see I'm spending WAY too much time shopping ebay. I found another interesting innovation.

If any of you are like me you're completely jealous of the newer scale models with all the fancy fan driven smoke units and rail sound effects but still have you're love and passion for the classics. I don't foresee ever diving deep into the true scale realm spending thousands on engines.

This might be a way to have my cake and eat (some) of it too. Lionel Modern Diesel RailSounds Sound System -- Multi-Note Horn | eBay

It describes this as a sound unit you can add to an older engine and get accurate rail sounds including multi note horn and sound adjusts to rail speed. There is one specific to the turbine engines. Not sure how it will fit a whistle tender but I have a Marx ABA unit which this would easily fit.

Anyone else try something like this? I know many will consider this sacrilege but what can I say. I like it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Not sacrilege, but it seems like a lot of bucks to spend on an older engine. But who am I to say. I have several 6456 hoppers that I bought for $10 each and then installed new trucks at $15 a pair.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Thats sound board from the '90s. For nearly the same amount of money you can get a new ElectricRR Railsounds board that is less than half that size with better sounds.
Pete

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats sound board from the '90s. For nearly the same amount of money you can get a new ElectricRR Railsounds board that is less than half that size with better sounds.
Pete
Is this the one you're referring to? RailSounds Commander TM

I thought my only option was to buy one of the lionel cars with sound.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yes, that is the board. It comes with a speaker and baffle. I believe if you get one for a steam engine you get a reed switch and magnet too for chuff but don't quote me on that as the ones I have came before Scott took over.
Pete

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I had a look. The reed switch and magnet for chuff is a reasonably priced add-on for the main board. On the website, you can listen to the sound of each of the several variations for steam and diesel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all, now I know what I'm putting on my list to Santa

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is this the only option for sound on an older locomotive? $90 seems like a lot.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
What John said 😁

The sound quality of the current ERR sound sets are pretty comparable, if not identical, to some of the Lionel RS 5.0 and Legacy sounds sets minus the Legacy part. They're definitely pricey, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
With me it depends on the age and era of the loco I am adding sound to. If it is really vintage - postwar Lionel or Marx like we had when I was a kid, then I like to just buy a Lionel mighty sound of steam or later sound car and use that - sometimes as it and sometimes putting its guts in the original tender. The rather toy-like sound, particularly from "Might Sound of Steam" seems appropriate.

If the loco is more recent - from the "TMCC era" and particularly if it is scale, it seems more realistic sound is appropriate and I go for a modern board and speaker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts