Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rivarossi 4-6-4
Very little pulling power even with two new rubber tires.
I'll be adding weight to improve it.
Found space in front of original steel (?) weight, behind smokebox door.
And some room above motor in cab.
Test run with approximate weight, then make a mold of the space, melt the lead and I'll be good to go.
This particular loco runs on Atlas code 83 track, my Rivarossi articulated wheel flanges hit the tie plates.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If the traction tires don't do it for you, then adding weight will only possibly correct the problem (it might compress the rubber a bit and increase the friction, but...). I think it would be worth investigating how much interference with traction the engine truck and the trailer truck are imparting to the mix of engine suspension.

I have two BLI separate issues of the Hudson, a Paragon with QSI from 2004 and a more recent 2012 (?) release of the Paragon 2. Neither has a traction tire (could be wrong about the P2), but both will pull six heavyweights up my 3% grade with two reefers behind the tender.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is just too light, even with traction tires. Pilot and trailing trucks are not 'lifting' the drivers, the tender draw bar has a pin and hole, so no weight transfer there.

Rough cast weights ready, need to make room for headlight, the rear weight blocks the windows!
I'll take some weight measurements and update this post later.
The BLI is a much better locomotive!

Locomotiveweight
Mantua4-6-21lb 3.4 oz
Rivarossi4-6-49.1 ozbefore adding lead
Rivarossi4-6-513.4 ozafter adding lead

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Walthers is selling a tungsten putty that might come in handy atop the boiler, say inside the two main domes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts