Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I would suggest one from flyernut. I have bought a couple from him and they both run great.
If he says one is ready you can bet it will be a great runner. He will be honest with you. I like
the 3 wheel drivers also. flyernut will see this early in the morning and hopefully he has one available.
I have become too predictable,lol!!!..Here it is, early morning, and here I am,lol...All the 6 wheel arrangement wheel sets are all very dependable, and most have smoke and choo choo. I tend to stay away from SIT units simply because there's a additional motor to service, and there's some extra costs involved.Engines that have eye appeal are the 312's, and 322's, as they have the fancy linkages. A 282, 283, 293 are also a great choice, all have smoke, choo choo, and head-light. A 283 and a 293 will have pul-mor tires.They are also inexpensive, not knowing your budget. A 312 or a 322 will cost you right around $100 dollars or slightly more. A 282, 290, or similar will cost you right around $70 or less. I don't have any locos that you're looking for right now that I will part with, but in any case of what engine you choose, I will gladly service it for you at no charge, mostly just parts, if needed, and shipping. I have alot of parts on hand, and I always give my buddies here a decent price break.. May I also suggest a Atlantic engine?? Not what you're looking for as they only have 4 drive wheels, but they are incredibly bullet-proof, most have smoke, head-light, and choo choo, and are easy to fix, like most AF engines. The 4-piece boiler 302 has the fancy linkage, and is die-cast. The 302AC is also die-cast, and has all your requirements. The plastic 302 is also a nice engine, but many times the screw holes are stripped out, fixable, but still a PITA. Remember, these engines are 70 years or older, but with proper maintenance, they'll last another 70 years. My offer still stands, regardless of time restraints. If you find something, send us a picture, price, cab number, and a description, and we all can help you make a determination... And thank you all for the glowing recommendations.. I shouldn't say this but in the past 3 months, I've come across 2 engines that I simply can't make run, regardless of what I do,lol..I've had 15 engines come my way for repairs, and it kills me I couldn't get these pigs to run...after 30 some years you're bound to meet your match....

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
A 310 would not work for you. No smoke or choo choo. A 282 would be nice for a few reasons.
It has smoke, choo choo, 3 big drivers on each side, one of the least expensive, it has plastic
molded body so will not need to be painted, no flaking paint. I have 2 of them. They are some of my best
runners. flyernut is saying if you find or see an engine you like you can buy it and he will service it
for you. If he runs across one he will let you know. flyernut is like me, he has lots of locos but he
gets attached to them and can not let them go.
You're right about letting them go Al.. Their like children to me,lol.. Here's a picture of SOME of my Hudsons. I had them double-rowed on another shelf, and when I was removing one to run it, the couplers hooked together from another tender and down to the concrete it went. Broken tender step and bent cowcatcher...It's all better now.
Wood Shelving Wood stain Hardwood Track

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Wow! thanks you all for the help. I have done a little more looking and like the 283 Locomotive. I found one for $80 supposedly serviced and runs good. I might just pull the pin on it. Is this a good price? Have to pay out the nose for shipping, would then be close to $100.
Richard
It's a fair price, everyone is happy, seller and buyer. Make sure the screw holes are not chipped out, and it has the 2 small front steps on the cow catcher. For that price it better be complete, running, and smoking. Make sure the pul-mor tires are in good shape, if not, they are available through PortLines, but then again, the overall cost of the engine goes up..Also, the graphics should be clear on the tender and cab. At $100 bucks, with shipping, you're right at the value of the engine, no room for upgrades or repairs..I have 3-4 283's, and they're all good runners and great pullers.The only problem with them, and it's not really a problem, is that they're direct- wired, no jack plug between the engine and tender...that can always be changed.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I will be interested in a vintage AF in the near future. I’d like to start out with something that has been gone through. Would you mind posting photos pointing out which locos are which. 283..293.. I’m a bit lost. I’d like traction wheels, die cast, smoke and choo choo. 6 wheel drives are my favorite. I believe Gilbert engineered some very cool stuff, and I’d like to own a piece of it. I am not an O guy, at all. HO and now just starting in AF-S. Thank you.
Give me about a couple of hours, I've got a drs. appointment this morning.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I will be interested in a vintage AF in the near future. I’d like to start out with something that has been gone through. Would you mind posting photos pointing out which locos are which. 283..293.. I’m a bit lost. I’d like traction wheels, die cast, smoke and choo choo. 6 wheel drives are my favorite. I believe Gilbert engineered some very cool stuff, and I’d like to own a piece of it. I am not an O guy, at all. HO and now just starting in AF-S. Thank you.
Looks like AMflyer has got you covered.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Hi, I am out of my league here. Being 70 with hand tremers really sucks. I bought a 283 and a 312. I am currently working on the 283 but had to put new fingers in and am having a bugger of a time with the proper contact pressure. Keeps catching and hanging up. You offered to service engines for parts and shipping, would like to send you the 312. It runs but it looks like someone has gotten into it before I got it and did some rewiring, plus all the fancy linkages on the outside is intimidating to me. Would like it gone through properly. Can you message me with particulars on how to send you a loco, and turn a round times. Thank you sir.
Glad you remembered me.. Surely I'll help you out. I'll send you a PM as to my address, and we're looking at about 2 weeks turn around time.. I also will keep you informed as to what I found, and costs. As long as it's complete with no missing parts, should be in-expensive. I understand about the tremors, my cousin has Parkinsons, and he has given up alot of his hobbies, including trains, etc.I have problems with my hands and arms falling asleep for no apparent reason, and I've changed my neurosurgeon.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Hi, I am out of my league here. Being 70 with hand tremers really sucks. I bought a 283 and a 312. I am currently working on the 283 but had to put new fingers in and am having a bugger of a time with the proper contact pressure. Keeps catching and hanging up. You offered to service engines for parts and shipping, would like to send you the 312. It runs but it looks like someone has gotten into it before I got it and did some rewiring, plus all the fancy linkages on the outside is intimidating to me. Would like it gone through properly. Can you message me with particulars on how to send you a loco, and turn a round times. Thank you sir.
I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if it went through...Here's my e-mail [email protected].

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I received the engine today.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
The engine ran over 1200' without a hiccup, it's a very nice engine. That is to say 600' in forward, and 600' in reverse.. Smokes great, head-light works, I went through it as best as I can. It should be in the mail tomorrow. I put in green jewels in the front, and red jewels in the back, polished up the copper pick-up wheels and copper pick-up strips. Let me know when you get it, and how it runs..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts