Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a used steamer. Nothing expensive but running good. I would like smoke from the locomotive stack and the choo choo sound. I like the looks of the ones with three big wheels, but they seem to all be smoke in tender. Does that mean the smoke actually comes out of the tender and not the locomotive? Like I said, and a old newbie. Looked at 312 310 etc. Perhaps someone has something I might be interested in here.
Thanks all

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! thanks you all for the help. I have done a little more looking and like the 283 Locomotive. I found one for $80 supposedly serviced and runs good. I might just pull the pin on it. Is this a good price? Have to pay out the nose for shipping, would then be close to $100.
Richard

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I found one for $30 plus shipping. Owner says smokes and light lights up and locomotive tries to go. Hopefully just needs a really good going over. Graphics is ok for me and steps are there. If not then I'll send it to one of you all who offered to fix em up. Was able to download some schematic drawing of it and parts list so I at least have something to go on. QUESTION: What do you use for the smoke? I know it is a dumb question, but simply don't know.
Thanks all

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just thought I would post a few pics of my pieces. The top train is my 1959 Defender set I got for Christmas that year. The bottom row has some custom flatcars with 1958-59 pickups mounted on them.
Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Railroad car

Train Product Rolling stock Track Railway

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling

Train Toy Rolling stock Rolling Vehicle

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use JTs Mega Steam also. Its good stuff. Your 234 is beautiful. Very nice set.
Thank you, I worked over the 234 and found original color paint (yellow) cuz there literally was no paint left on it. Repainted the frame. did a mild wash to the plastic cab to get the grum off of it. Then did a total cleanup of all the hidden stuff. Really runs good now. Reverse unit is still giving me fits, found one frome a guy and said he guarantees it so we will see. Thank you for your kind remarks and help. Richard

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have become too predictable,lol!!!..Here it is, early morning, and here I am,lol...All the 6 wheel arrangement wheel sets are all very dependable, and most have smoke and choo choo. I tend to stay away from SIT units simply because there's a additional motor to service, and there's some extra costs involved.Engines that have eye appeal are the 312's, and 322's, as they have the fancy linkages. A 282, 283, 293 are also a great choice, all have smoke, choo choo, and head-light. A 283 and a 293 will have pul-mor tires.They are also inexpensive, not knowing your budget. A 312 or a 322 will cost you right around $100 dollars or slightly more. A 282, 290, or similar will cost you right around $70 or less. I don't have any locos that you're looking for right now that I will part with, but in any case of what engine you choose, I will gladly service it for you at no charge, mostly just parts, if needed, and shipping. I have alot of parts on hand, and I always give my buddies here a decent price break.. May I also suggest a Atlantic engine?? Not what you're looking for as they only have 4 drive wheels, but they are incredibly bullet-proof, most have smoke, head-light, and choo choo, and are easy to fix, like most AF engines. The 4-piece boiler 302 has the fancy linkage, and is die-cast. The 302AC is also die-cast, and has all your requirements. The plastic 302 is also a nice engine, but many times the screw holes are stripped out, fixable, but still a PITA. Remember, these engines are 70 years or older, but with proper maintenance, they'll last another 70 years. My offer still stands, regardless of time restraints. If you find something, send us a picture, price, cab number, and a description, and we all can help you make a determination... And thank you all for the glowing recommendations.. I shouldn't say this but in the past 3 months, I've come across 2 engines that I simply can't make run, regardless of what I do,lol..I've had 15 engines come my way for repairs, and it kills me I couldn't get these pigs to run...after 30 some years you're bound to meet your match....
Hi, I am out of my league here. Being 70 with hand tremers really sucks. I bought a 283 and a 312. I am currently working on the 283 but had to put new fingers in and am having a bugger of a time with the proper contact pressure. Keeps catching and hanging up. You offered to service engines for parts and shipping, would like to send you the 312. It runs but it looks like someone has gotten into it before I got it and did some rewiring, plus all the fancy linkages on the outside is intimidating to me. Would like it gone through properly. Can you message me with particulars on how to send you a loco, and turn a round times. Thank you sir.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts