Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Usually Flyernut has some well serviced engines he will sell. SIT (smoke in tender) just means the smoke unit is in the tender, the smoke comes out the stack as normal. The SIT engines were made only in 1946 and 1947. Beginning in 1948 through today the smoke units are in the boiler.
An SIT engine has a second independent motor to power the smoke unit. That means the engine will smoke in neutral but the chuffs are not synchronized with the engine valve gear and drive rods.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Its fine to use those weird scents in the O gauge engines but on my layouts only the original Gilbert Cedar scent can be used in American Flyer engines. Your layouts, your rules!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
The 283 is plastic, not diecast, as are all the KC Atlantics. The 316 PRR K5 is diecast. The K325 and 326 Hudsons are diecast. The K335 and 336 Northerns are diecast but be careful, some of the early production runs do not have PullMor. The 0-8-0 switcher is a nice diecast engine, look for an early 343 with a tender mounted reverse unit. I would avoid 5 digit numbered versions of these engines for two reasons. First, they are almost always more expensive. Second they have unreliable and very hard to impossible to repair, two position reverse units mounted to the back of the motor.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Yes, it is a 312. I included a picture of a 312AC pulling a PRR passenger train that shows the engine better. That 322AC Hudson is my original and first American Flyer train set engine. It was part of set 4611A that was made in 1950 for a Pittsburgh department store.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Yes, it was Kaufmanns. There are no documented 4611A sets made in 1950 but I have one with all the original paperwork and the 1950 date stamp in the engine. My guess is around 10 were packaged for Kaufmanns as a store special. My 1956 Gilbert HO set was purchased at Frank and Seder, which was in the 441 Smithfield street building in those days. I will be in Pittsburgh in July for a family visit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts