Model Train Forum banner

Advice on S-scale Scenery

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mopac 
#1 ·
Hello. I have an American Flyer S-gauge from the 1950s. I want to begin to purchase scenery (gas station, diner, etc.) that I can put up for all times except Christmas. Most buildings for sale are either HO or O gauge. Not sure of what size I should go with. Appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

G
#2 ·
I'm not an S scale guy but I've seen 1950s toy train type layouts with Plasticville buildings and they look to be about the right size. Plasticville is sold as O/S scale, slightly small for O and slightly large for S but workable for both scales.

I also found this site by searching for S scale buildings:

http://www.sceneryunlimited.net/su-main.php

There are more listed when I searched so they are out there. These buildings are more suitable for an S scale model railroad rather than an S scale toy train layout.

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to the train forum. I do all scales but have really been into S the last 2 years. I like the size and I have a
AF 282 I have had since I was 5 years old. That was in 1955. I have bought 14 more steamers.
You are correct about not much out there for S scale but there is stuff out there. S is 1/64 scale. We are lucky that most, well a lot,
of the diecast vehicles are 1/64. Get them at Walmart for around 5 bucks each. The good brands are Johnny Lightning, GreenLight,
and M2. They make nice cars and trucks. For buildings watch ebay
American Flyer and you will find some of the original AF buildings.
GreenLight a couple of years ago came out with gas stations in 1/64. They have Gulf or Texaco stations. I think these can be found on ebay under GreenLight. Here is a pic of my GreenLight gas station with 2 M2 vehicles. It is 50s style.

Scale model Vehicle Toy vehicle Model car Car

I also bought a train station off ebay. It is made by Lionel for
American Flyer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.