Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I just recently bought the Broadway limited daylight cars and one of them is a 3 car articulated set (https://www.broadway-limited.com/1576spcoastdaylightpassengercararticulatedcoffee10258kitchen10257diner102563-carsetho.aspx).
Turns out that car is 28 inches long end to end, in the box its 30". Right now I am transporting my cars in box in a suitcase however this car is way too long for the suitcase even out of box. So Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for carry bags. I take the bus and train to my train clubs so one thats not easily carry able wont do. Im currently looking at the one from Spring Mills Depot and the one from A-Line, both will be linked at the bottom, however the one from A-Line says its 28" wide, so with the foam I dont know if it will fit my big car. Thanks for your help!

Spring Mills:
A-Line: https://ppw-aline.com/collections/a-line-hobby-tote-system-ho-n-scales

Also Please note I model in HO

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I have a half dozen of the Spring Mills Depot boxes. They work great, although they are made of cardboard, so if they get wet, they're toast. The come with some extra pieces of foam that you can trim to pad the ends of your cars (at least they did when I bought mine).

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
May have to just leave the articulated car at home. OTOH, I'm sure that if you bend it hard enough, it should be able to fit in the shorter boxes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May have to just leave the articulated car at home. OTOH, I'm sure that if you bend it hard enough, it should be able to fit in the shorter boxes.
The Spring Mills bag has enough space for me to lay it down without dissasembly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a half dozen of the Spring Mills Depot boxes. They work great, although they are made of cardboard, so if they get wet, they're toast. The come with some extra pieces of foam that you can trim to pad the ends of your cars (at least they did when I bought mine).
So you recommend the boxes, do you have any experience with the carry bag?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
So you recommend the boxes, do you have any experience with the carry bag?
I looked at it, picked it up. Inspected it. Seemed like it was solid and well constructed. Since the most transporting of trains I ever do is to take about a dozen cars to a Boy Scout Railroading Merit Badge class, I couldn't justify the expense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at it, picked it up. Inspected it. Seemed like it was solid and well constructed. Since the most transporting of trains I ever do is to take about a dozen cars to a Boy Scout Railroading Merit Badge class, I couldn't justify the expense.
Man I wish my scout troop had a model railroading badge, but thank you I think I will pick it up hopefully it works if not its only $120ish

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Man I wish my scout troop had a model railroading badge, but thank you I think I will pick it up hopefully it works if not its only $120ish
BSA merged the two badges about 8 years ago. Now there is only Railroading. 80% of the requirements are the same, then you finish it off with either a full sized train experience or a model railroad one. 90% of the boys who work with me opt for the 1:1 scale.

Too bad you're on the other coast. If werent that far, we could set something up.

Incidentally, Isaac is also the name of my middle son, who made Eagle Scout about 15 months ago.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BSA merged the two badges about 8 years ago. Now there is only Railroading. 80% of the requirements are the same, then you finish it off with either a full sized train experience or a model railroad one. 90% of the boys who work with me opt for the 1:1 scale.

Too bad you're on the other coast. If werent that far, we could set something up.

Incidentally, Isaac is also the name of my middle son, who made Eagle Scout about 15 months ago.
Congratulations, I am almost 21 now, not in scouts anymore, unfortunately I joined at almost 14 so I didn't have enough time to make eagle scout but I still had lots of fun and made lots of friends. Althought never heard of the railroading badge. Last news I heard from the BSA was some big political thing where they were gonna rename it and let girls in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got an email from Spring Mills they told me shipping to my area is $66 but since im buying everything in a package it would be $52. I don't know what to do, I haven't found any other carrying bags that are long enough to fit the 30" daylight car. What should I do?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Congratulations, I am almost 21 now, not in scouts anymore, unfortunately I joined at almost 14 so I didn't have enough time to make eagle scout but I still had lots of fun and made lots of friends. Althought never heard of the railroading badge. Last news I heard from the BSA was some big political thing where they were gonna rename it and let girls in.
It is possible, but very difficult, to make Eagle scout in four years.

I was a scout leader (Cubs and Boy Scouts) for 16 years. Admitting girls is about the money and the membership, not some notion of political correctness. Personally, I think they're being silly about separate troops and packs for girls. In my pack and troop, we always had s couple of female siblings who did everything with the boys anyway. It was nice to be able to finally recognize their achievements.

And I guess, if we want to discuss this further we should open a separate thread, because we're way off the topic of model trains...

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Just got an email from Spring Mills they told me shipping to my area is $66 but since im buying everything in a package it would be $52. I don't know what to do, I haven't found any other carrying bags that are long enough to fit the 30" daylight car. What should I do?
I'll tell you the same thing that my father taught me and I passed to my boys: if you want something, decide if it's worth what the seller is asking. If it is, save your pennies and buy it. Shipping and taxes are facts of life, so you just accept it.

Shipping cost is a factor of weight and cube (volume) 4 SMD storage boxes and the carrying case, plus shipping material is only going to weigh about seven or eight pounds, but it's huge -- 12 cubic feet or thereabouts. And across the country, to boot. It sounds like you"ve already asked about reduced price shipping; if not, do so. They may work with you if it will get them a sale.

On the other hand, you don't need a commercial train box. You can make one yourself out of a Sterilite or Rubbermade tote, some hot glue, and $10 of foam from the craft store. It probably won't be pretty, but it will be functional and cheaper .

·
Registered
747 Posts
On the other hand, you don't need a commercial train box. You can make one yourself out of a Sterilite or Rubbermade tote, some hot glue, and $10 of foam from the craft store. It probably won't be pretty, but it will be functional and cheaper .
And will last a lot longer than those cardboard boxes. I'll wager you could build 3 or 4 "train totes" for what they're going to charge you for shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts