Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a 353 american flyer flying circus from trainz asking 120.00 but the tender and engine has to be painted no question not tested. Plus 18.50 for shipping. He has dropped price from 160. Should i wait and look for something better. Thanks

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
$120 is about right for an original 353 in "good" rated condition. Good condition is not very good and usually would need a repaint. I would not do it. I would wait for a better condition original which of course would cost more.
If you are ok with a restoration consider starting with either a 354 or 356 Silver Bullet that is badly scratched and cheap. Paint and decal that for the AF Circus, then you have smoke and choo choo for less money and the same amount of work.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$120 is about right for an original 353 in "good" rated condition. Good condition is not very good and usually would need a repaint. I would not do it. I would wait for a better condition original which of course would cost more.
If you are ok with a restoration consider starting with either a 354 or 356 Silver Bullet that is badly scratched and cheap. Paint and decal that for the AF Circus, then you have smoke and choo choo for less money and the same amount of work.
Ok thanks i been watching for about 2 months and he has drpped the price i think you r right i been waiting a while i just keep looking thanks

Al stay safe

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
My advise would be to keep looking. That 120.00 engine is going to need some linkage to wheels replaced.
These do not screw off. Uses rivets. And will cost some bucks. That one piece is broke.
A decent engine does not last 2 months on ebay.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I was at a train show last fall, and the guy next to me was haggling with the owner of a red circus engine over the price.. It was a fairly nice engine and the guy said no to the $85 dollar price tag that he worked the seller down to. He walked away and I stepped up and said I'll take for $85..Linkages and the rivet(s) can be had at PortLines.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thankyou i apreciate it. I will keep looking. Stay safe.

Al
I was at a train show last fall, and the guy next to me was haggling with the owner of a red circus engine over the price.. It was a fairly nice engine and the guy said no to the $85 dollar price tag that he worked the seller down to. He walked away and I stepped up and said I'll take for $85..Linkages and the rivet(s) can be had at PortLines.
Ok it does need alot of work. 120. Plus 18.50 for shipping plus paint linkage revits plus it hasnt been tested so figure new fingers maybe wires and cleaning. I think i will pass or if he drops the price again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts