Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best place to post questions about the 9900?

Thanks,

Rich K. in Orlnado

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I am not familiar with what a 9900 is but if it is S scale you are in the right place here.

Just saw your item is from 1934. That would be O scale. So show it in O scale section.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, it is 1934 Burlington Zephyr 9900 cast aluminum. O-Gauge and O-Scale i think (it looks O-scale) but it is American Flyer

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Yes, American Flyer stuff PREWAR was O scale. Starting in 1946 AF was S scale.
Sounds like a cool engine you have. Ask your questions in O scale.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Pre WW2 American Flyer produced Wide Gauge and O gauge trains. The actual scale was the same as Lionel, in other words it varied a lot. In 1938 A.C. Gilbert purchased American Flyer from W.O. Coleman and moved production from Chicago to New Haven. The 1938 train line was carryover O gauge plus the addition of the new Gilbert HO trains. Wide Gauge trains were discontinued prior to 1938. In 1939 Gilbert introduced the first engines that were accurate 3/16 scale models that ran on O gauge trucks. By 1941 all the Gilbert O gauge engines were made to 3/16 scale dimensions. In 1946 Gilbert dropped all O gauge products and put S gauge trucks on the 3/16 scale models and introduced the 2 rail S gauge track.
The 1934 Zephyr has no relationship to postwar American Flyer products. While it is O gauge it is also made completely different than Lionel O gauge was at that time. My guess would be those who collect and operate 1938 and older American Flyer would be posting in the Tinplate subforum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts