Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, here is my next beauty on the workbench. This was an auction win that was unintentional. I was doing a little drinking and "training" and accidentally bid on this. Anyway, not upset whatsoever because obviously I need a Hudson in the arsenal. I also got a couple rolling stocks for a total of $102. The cars are in excellent condition and all lights work. As for the #322, all I had to do was soldered one wire into the male jack and the engine took off like a bat out of hell...choo chooing, smoking, and lightening the way. Oh yea, I finally bought some Fastrack and set myself up a little oval....not a drunk purchase. o_O

The trailing truck is missing because I stole it for use on my #336, so that is something I am looking for. Anyone have one lying around on the cheap?

Also, can I swap out the brush bracket assembly to use the other style without changing the field and armature?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I see the 322 is posed on your new FasTrack. All in all, looks like a good purchase. Why do you want to change the brush bracket asssembly? The engine is running well and the replacement slotted brushes are readily available, even the oil wick for the armature shaft is still there. If you do change to shoulder brushes you need the shorter brush holder since this armature does not have an oil slinger.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured I would change it out because I have a whole bunch of shoulder brushes, springs, and an extra motor lying around. However, I guess you are right....it runs too nice to change out pieces. Tom, you always convince me to leave stuff alone and you haven't steered me wrong yet!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Kvlazer22 ya done good on that drunk buy! Nice pieces! I see a new way of bidding or buying? Drunk I mean. As far as changing out those brushes, ever hear of the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Words I have learned to live by. Maintenance is different. What you were proposing wasn't maintenance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhh, yes...I hear that from my wife all the time. I turn my simple projects into not so simple projects. I will keep the slotted brushes. I will find something else on this train to make more difficult than needed....hahah

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wanted to share a little status update on the 322. The locomotive is done but I am still working on the tender. Let's just say me and dry transfers don't get along.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The hole in the side of the smoke box is visible where that missing pipe attaches. The engine sure looks good. I have only had to reletter two engines. I bought the rubber stamps and a white ink pad. It is not easy but lets say practice makes perfect. I did a lot of practice stampings before I tried the real thing. they came out well. I avoided the dry transfers because to me they are obviously not original. 25 years ago the stamps were readily available from several sources.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have only had to reletter two engines. I bought the rubber stamps and a white ink pad. It is not easy but lets say practice makes perfect. I did a lot of practice stampings before I tried the real thing. they came out well.
I tried the dry transfers for the tender herald three times and never got the tiny letters to stick. I am going to try decals next.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The 322 looks great. I have to ask how you get the whitewalls so white and how do you clean
the linkages and side rods and side rod screws. They look new.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to ask how you get the whitewalls so white and how do you clean
the linkages and side rods and side rod screws. They look new.
For the whitewalls I use turpentine with a q-tip.

For the linkages I use Flitz Metal Polish. Scrub them with a towel and they come out sparkling new! You can get it here....

Flitz Metal Polish on Amazon

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I just ordered some Flitz. Your stuff looks great. Should not take long to mail. Flitz looks to be maybe7 miles north of me. Since they are in state I had to pay sales tax. No biggie. Thanks for info. I have over 20 locomotives that can use some flitz.

I had some Ebay Bucks that expire later tonight. Used it up. Made the Flitz pretty cheap.

I don't have an Amazon account so I checked Ebay. Same price with free shipping. I bet
some of the other guys order some also. So guys, either Amazon or Ebay. Get your
miracle polish.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looking close at yours. Do you have pul mor tires on your because mine doesn't. Nice job on the cleaning looks brand new.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Guys, here is a great spec sheet on Gilbert locomotives. It is not always 100% correct but pretty close.
Gilbert had variations and hard to get all on one sheet. For instance, chart says my 336 should have
pullmor and it doesn't. Very early 336 did not have them. Al, check out the Hudson specs. Check by
cab numbers. I find this spec list very helpful. Its in my favorites.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Mopac, I have seen that list previously. It is pretty good for a list that keeps things simple. That does cause some problems. Take for example the popular 322. It lists only boiler for the S&CC but it lists tender or boiler for the 4 position reverse unit. Obviously if the reverse unit is in the boiler then the RU must be in the tender. Many 1947 322's were in fact built this way. I would not call it an error as much as an oversimplified presentation format.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts