Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ok...it is fixed! However, there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.....hahahah. My testing stand (foam board insulation) amplitudes sound like no other! I realized it after I pressed down on the chassis and all the noise went away. I then held the chassis in my hand and it sounds like a Tesla going down the road with a smoke box for an exhaust pipe! I am chalking this one up to a little acronym we use in the IT world..... PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard). I still played with different width armature washers and really dialed her in.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Your PEBCAK reminds me of what I was told when I first started turning wrenches for a living, " It's not the tool , but the operator."

·
Registered
170 Posts
Like Mo-Pac said, looks great!
Half of the battle & half of the fun is playing/fixing these old toys. It's kept me out of trouble this winter (sorta).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks. I must say, this step was pretty difficult to attach since there really isn't a base to it. I thinned the J-B Weld with acetone to get it to flow so I could clean up the excess. After 24 hours I replied another non-thinned coat that would fill in the crevices. I had to be REALLY careful to not even breath around it for the first coat. It was hard for me to not go check on it every hour. I learned that lesson after hour one into the curing process when I knocked it off. Below is my professional step leveler....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I got around to wiring up the tender and motor tonight. Whoever wired up the motor last didn't follow the Gilbert diagram. I took it apart and used the brushes on top and field on the bottom setup. I also didn't like the length of the wires in the boiler so I trimmed them up a bit. I was all excited to put the tender body back on until I remembered the grab bars need to be installed first. I am missing a couple and have to wait on an order from Port Lines.

BEFORE.....

AFTER...

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
It appears the e-unit is in backwards. It should face towards the front, and the air chime guts should be at the back end of the tender.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It appears the e-unit is in backwards. It should face towards the front, and the air chime guts should be at the back end of the tender.
Grrrrr, I fought with this when I was putting it back together. I came to the conclusion that I should put it back the way it came. I should have related the bad wiring on the motor to the wrong setup in the tender.

On another note, did you know Gilbert gives you holes to mount the reverse unit and speaker in any direction? Hahahah

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Good spot flyernut. It is indeed backwards. That would make it hard for me to follow a wiring diagram. I kept the parts but I removed the whistle parts in my 336. Not fond of the sound and the whistle was in the way to install new harness. The more I look at the pic maybe my
E unit faces backwards. Whistle definitely at rear. In the pic whistle not in the way of a new harness.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
My final determination to stick with the reverse unit backwards was because of the 12" wire harness. There would be a lot of excess wire if it was facing forwards.

That would make it hard for me to follow a wiring diagram. I kept the parts but I removed the whistle parts in my 336.
Yes, that made my brain hurt trying to map the wires. I also didn't connect the whistle, I screwed it down but didn't wire it.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
#332AC and K335 4-8-4's have the e-unit facing forwards, the 336 has the e-unit facing backwards, like in the pictures..I'll have to check my Northerns.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts