Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase an AF Red 954 observation car to complete my set. I notice that the observation decks are usually warped down and some of the cars listed for sale have diagonal cut rear steps. Is this due to the steps blocking the rear truck and wheels from making the curves on the track? If this is the case were they manufactured this way or trimmed afterwards? From a purchasing standpoint, should I only be looking at cars that have diagonally cut steps?
Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
People with vastly more experience and knowledge will soon be online to answer your question, sorry I can't help.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I don't have any of those cars but I have seen where sellers said they trimmed the steps so the truck
did not hit. I don't think Gilbert did it.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Red 954's are less common than green. There are two primary variations, 1953 and 1954 are w/o silhouettes, 1955 and 1956 are with. Normally all the cars in a set should be the same window variation. The 978 Operating Brakeman observation was included in many red sets rather than a 954. The 954 had either straight or beveled steps from the factory, either should run ok. The drooping rear platform is normal, even 654's looked like that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Red 954's are less common than green. There are two primary variations, 1953 and 1954 are w/o silhouettes, 1955 and 1956 are with. Normally all the cars in a set should be the same window variation. The 978 Operating Brakeman observation was included in many red sets rather than a 954. The 954 had either straight or beveled steps from the factory, either should run ok. The drooping rear platform is normal, even 654's looked like that.
When I first wanted to buy a green observation car, that drooping rear platform made me pass on the first few I looked at. Then one time at Du Page a seller had 4 of them laying together and of course all had the droops. We talked about it and he mentioned that was how they all were as far as he knew. I ended up buying one since he made me a good deal. That was I don't know how many years ago. I did take the car apart to try and fix or improve that droop and was a little successful.

Kenny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts