Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a sense of how much more powerful large motors are than small ones? Would like to know anyone's thoughts/experience on this.

PHM

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have 2 of the same locomotives. One with small motor and one with large motor. I see very little difference.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Does anyone have a sense of how much more powerful large motors are than small ones? Would like to know anyone's thoughts/experience on this.

PHM
I have never seen any factory data or test data that documents the power curve of any Gilbert motor. There were many motor revisions that were made beginning in 1952. Initially the super armature was intoduced that worked with the standard field. Then the large motor was introduced along with a new field. Subsequently additional armature changes were made such as changing the pole location in relation to the commutators (same as advancing or retarding timing) and then skewed armatures were made. Drum style commutators were made but I think that was about packaging size and cost reduction. All these things would change the power curve and the efficiency of the motor.
Since engines with PullMor wheels could "pull more" cars more powerful motors would be needed, especially to prevent overheating and damaging the motor. The additional laminations in the large motor would help it run cooler.
The worst thing for a universal motor is to stall it. Without PullMor the engines would just spin their wheels. After PullMor was added it became possible to stall the engine and possibly overheat and damage the motor. The large motor would help to address this by making more power and having a larger thermal mass to avoid overheating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts