Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I picked this non-powered loco up at a recent train show for $5.00.
I know there was never a prototpe for UP for this item. AHM / Rivarossi never made one either, to the best of my knowledge.

I can't determine if the decals are Champ...... what do you folks think.
Either way, it was just too funky to not pick up.

The pics are of the item as purchased. I may clean it up and repaint as a fantasy UP scheme.

It would be fun to put a powered chassis underneath and attach a turbine fuel tender behind just for good measure.
all my best,
Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hello all,
I picked this non-powered loco up at a recent train show for $5.00.
I know there was never a prototpe for UP for this item. AHM / Rivarossi never made one either, to the best of my knowledge.

I can't determine if the decals are Champ...... what do you folks think.
Either way, it was just too funky to not pick up.

It would be fun to put a powered chassis underneath and attach a turbine fuel tender behind just for good measure.
all my best,
Eric
That is an amazing find for $5.
They weren’t turbines but of course, do as you like. Your railroad your rules.

edit:add

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I got one in a box lot I bought at a train show for $10. It never did run and is a dummy now but they’re an interesting locomotive for sure. Diesel hydraulic is a great idea on paper but not good in practice. Hydraulics are extremely effective when used in the correct application and can be kept clean but the second they get fouled by a blown up pump or something you have the possibility of needing to replace every hydraulic component on the machine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Gosh, I wouldn't touch a thing on that locomotive and I would make a small diorama for it to showcase it's vintage looks and favor. No doubt, you do not see those everyday and it could be a collectable to the right person.
I have been selling old junkie tyco stuff in these mini diaramas, at train shows for over $100 and I usually sell out before the show closes. It's a great way to fund "THE GOOD STUFF!"

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
But I would imagine that the one that go for that money actually run, and are not in a fantasy paint scheme…..
I see them in all different conditions, most of the time they’re in SP or DRGW but have seen a couple in fantasy schemes, some run some don’t the original mechanisms aren’t great anyhow, I repowered mine with a reworked Athearn U30C chassis and Dofasco trucks for correct wheelbase, I’m trying to get one more of these but I’m not willing to pay the prices they’re asking on eBay, takes a bit of work but g try hey can be made into a nice model

1 - 9 of 9 Posts