Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Followed one of those bandit links and look what I found.

This is a sponsored article brought to you by Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource in conjunction with the advertiser. The advertiser paid a fee to promote this article and may have influenced or authored the content. The views expressed in this article are those of the advertiser and do not necessarily reflect those of Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource, its parent company, or its staff.

This sponsored content was served using Nativo: The Native Advertising Platform

Now you may have legal recourse.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
ads are THE way of life for VS, and it's forums ..
they have around 480 forums to manage, and ads are the things that keep it alive ..
if YOU would like to see less ads, join another forum, or get an adblocker ..

your posts don't give them any money, the ads do, simple ...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know who you are and I don't know who VS is.

Ads are one thing but inserting ads into the stream of posts is not legitimate.

And frankly a number of people have already said that the ads have the opposite effect, that it makes them not want to buy the product. Ain't no one here gonna buy a Mazda now.

Oh and some of the posts/ads were just fake news nonsense.

Great use of processing resources.

Are you shilling for the criminals who insert the ads into the post stream?

Frank Tauss

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
vS is vertical scope, they own this forum, as well as around 480 others ..
and it's not about the forum, it's all about ad revenue, lol ..
never been called a shill before, rofl

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vS is vertical scope, they own this forum, as well as around 480 others ..
and it's not about the forum, it's all about ad revenue, lol ..
never been called a shill before, rofl
So you think inserting ads that look like posts is Ok?

I'm as free market as it gets but that is just wrong.

It's deceitful. It's dishonest. And since the it goes against forum policy it's a reason to stop them.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
ftauss, What is your issue with the comments. Apparently you don’t look at ALL the responses that have explained the problem with Ads appearing as threads. Wvgca has explained that VS, is Verticlescope, (the website owners), and the host is vBulletin. The ADMIN Gunrunnerjohn, and myself as a moderator, are fully aware of this recent problem. The administrative technical group has been apprised of the situation, and they are working on the problem. It will eventually be rectified, but may take longer than you expect.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ftauss, What is your issue with the comments. Apparently you don’t look at ALL the responses that have explained the problem with Ads appearing as threads. Wvgca has explained that VS, is Verticlescope, (the website owners), and the host is vBulletin. The ADMIN Gunrunnerjohn, and myself as a moderator, are fully aware of this recent problem. The administrative technical group has been apprised of the situation, and they are working on the problem. It will eventually be rectified, but may take longer than you expect.
My issue is I've been in IT for 30 years. Developer network support and admin, etc.

When people abuse their talent to annoy or scam others it irritates me no end.

Like the Obamacare website. Millions upon millions of dollars, apparently nobody sat down and did design document, use case analysis or even did a proper test. Then they release and say you HAVE to use it. The IT companies who got the contracts were thieves, plain and simple. It disgusted me.

I am very glad I'm getting out of it in a few years.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
So you think inserting ads that look like posts is Ok?

I'm as free market as it gets but that is just wrong.

It's deceitful. It's dishonest. And since the it goes against forum policy it's a reason to stop them.

well, i run an adblocker, so i don't even see them at all..
second, if i don't see them, how can i say it goes against forum policy ??
thirdly, forum policy is set by the owners.. while it -may- be influenced by the users, it is still set by the owners ..

it is MY choice whether i want to see ads, and in my case i don't ... just as it's your choice what to do, however complaining about something like this is usually fruitless ..
sorry..

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
ftauss, The initial reaction to your posts, came off as personal ranting. After your explanation of your background in IT, they make more sense. It appeared as if you had issues, with the lack of the ultimate fix. Most of us here use Ad Blockers, and don’t see what others do. It’s all good.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know nothing about this problem. It hasn't affected me(yet). But I will say this: I have AdGuard/Adblocker/ABGenesis Plus......
But, I only got them for my email... I never intended them to affect a hobby forum. It never even occurred to me. It is ironic though ! This post sounds like an ad for Adblocker ! :eek: ..M

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
But if everyone blocks the ads, then companies like VS will have to change their revenue model, which means membership fees. As long as they ads aren't overly intrusive, they're a necessary evil of s free internet.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My concern (or fear) is that this can be "weaponized": today it links to a Mazda commercial - tomorrow could it link to a malware downloading site? :mad:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Looking down the road, as most adults learn to do (it finally happened to me.. :eek:), what can the end-state be for this vexatious problem? How did it go for the cable networks when people purchased DVRs? Well, the way it went was that people recorded EVERYTHING they wanted to watch so that they could FFwd through all the ads. So much for advertising revenue. If people use ad-blockers routinely who is watching them who is actually interested? It can't be more than one person in ten, or maybe a lot worse. Maybe that's an ideal ratio.

Anyway, I don't see this ending well over time. A subscription model will have to come.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
VS is not a small company, they advertise 200 employees ...
with 480 forums you can imagine the ad revenue that comes in right now to keep those employees going, maybe 30,000 $ PER FORUM?

·
Administrator
747 Posts
I don't know who you are and I don't know who VS is.

Ads are one thing but inserting ads into the stream of posts is not legitimate.

And frankly a number of people have already said that the ads have the opposite effect, that it makes them not want to buy the product. Ain't no one here gonna buy a Mazda now.

Oh and some of the posts/ads were just fake news nonsense.

Great use of processing resources.

Are you shilling for the criminals who insert the ads into the post stream?

Frank Tauss
We're working on having them removed, this is just taking a while. But having Native Ads (sponsored ads) in between posts and content is actually the norm in social media if you take a look at sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr. They all behave the same way. Even Youtube now cuts videos in the 15 minute mark to show an ad (unless you use adblock or have youtube premium).

These ads are meant to blend into the environment of the media portals you use. Like how commercials are between shows. :)

Lee

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
We're working on having them removed, this is just taking a while. But having Native Ads (sponsored ads) in between posts and content is actually the norm in social media if you take a look at sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr. They all behave the same way. Even Youtube now cuts videos in the 15 minute mark to show an ad (unless you use adblock or have youtube premium).

These ads are meant to blend into the environment of the media portals you use. Like how commercials are between shows. :)

Lee
And you wonder why I don't use social media platforms and have stopped watching YouTube videos?

As my father used to say, just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right.

So called in your face advertising, that forces you to stop viewing the content you came to see and view an ad, is a trend that needs to go away fast.

Instead of following the trend, start a new one -- ban the ads that interfere with content and degrade the user experience. Put your members ahead of the almighty dollar.

I have repeatedly said that I understand that advertising is what keeps the internet free, and I support that, right up until I can't enjoy the content anymore. If that's going to be the norm, I will reluctantly install an ad blocker.

·
Administrator
747 Posts
And you wonder why I don't use social media platforms and have stopped watching YouTube videos?

As my father used to say, just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right.

So called in your face advertising, that forces you to stop viewing the content you came to see and view an ad, is a trend that needs to go away fast.

Instead of following the trend, start a new one -- ban the ads that interfere with content and degrade the user experience. Put your members ahead of the almighty dollar.

I have repeatedly said that I understand that advertising is what keeps the internet free, and I support that, right up until I can't enjoy the content anymore. If that's going to be the norm, I will reluctantly install an ad blocker.
I certainly understand your frustration. No one really likes ads, right? But they are necessary to keep services such as this running (and provided free for members). I personally prefer native ads specifically because they do not interfere with my own browsing activity like other types/placements of ads. No one solution will please everyone, unfortunately. We do our best to adhere to industry best practices. That being said, you can certainly explore adblock options, if you feel that is necessary.

LeeAnn

1 - 20 of 32 Posts