Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it is getting hot and steamy it is a good time to retreat to the basement and fool around with the trains.
I pulled out the airbrushes I have and decided to try them out.
My question is in the picture on the left is the fitting that goes to the compressor.
Why is that little hole in the fitting? I guess it is a bleeder hole but why would that be needed?
The other fitting in the middle has no hole to leak air out.
I am going to try water based paints just to test it out.
It seems that the compressor would run a lot more using the fitting with the bleeder hole in it?
What is it's purpose and what does everybody else use?
A fitting with a bleeder hole or a fitting with none?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Does a small air brush compressor actually shut off like a typical shop compressor? They typically don't have a reservoir, at least the ones I've seen. If that's the case, the bleeder hole is probably just to keep it from over pressurizing the line.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The compressor builds up and shuts off like a normal compressor. Has it's own tank. It is a small tank.
With the fitting with the bleeder hole after it shuts off it still bleeds air out of the little hole.
The gun also came with the one fitting in the middle that has no hole in it.
I am new to air brushing, my nephew who I got the guns from used the one with the hole I guess.
I know if I ask him he will tell me he can't remember why.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The only experience I have is with a small air brush compressor without a tank. I bet the one without the hole is for a compressor like yours that controls pressure in its reservoir with a governor and shuts off when it reaches the desired pressure. The one with the hole is probably for the type without a tank that runs constantly so that you don't over-pressurize the hose. That being said, I only recently learned the basics of airbrushing from a friend using his tools so I'm not all that knowledgeable. It makes sense in my head though.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if anything your bumping the thread. :)
Maybe someone will know.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The hole acts as a port to keep the pressure low for airbrushing. It is a poor man’s regulator. Depending on the paint you are using, the pressure should be around 20-30psi. This hole keeps the pressure in that range.

Without it, the pressure would build up too high and spatter out the paint...

Tom

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Google is your friend... 😜 My guess was close as far as keeping pressure from building up in the hose with a non-governed compressor but not for the reason I thought.

I searched "airbrush adapter with bleeder hole" and this came to light.

I did google, I didn't find anything. :rolleyes: That explains it.
I guess back when he bought it both fittings came with the package?

Thanks Jake

Now onto actually trying it out.

Reactions: santafe158

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hole acts as a port to keep the pressure low for airbrushing. It is a poor man’s regulator. Depending on the paint you are using, the pressure should be around 20-30psi. This hole keeps the pressure in that range.

Without it, the pressure would build up too high and spatter out the paint...

Tom
Thanks Tom.
OK, but if I use a regulator I should not have to worry about that as I can regulate how much air gets pushed into the hose? Wouldn't I be able to regulate how much paint gets sprayed out by adjusting the flow? Therefor eliminating splatter? I got to fool around with it and see what happens. But I was wondering about that bleeder hole. I have the other so I can even try each one to see what happens.
I am going to be using water based paints for now.

I won an old Eagle weather vane years ago. From the description it sat on a seaside house in Ca since the fifties.
I have a large tree branch in my backyard tree which I screwed it into years ago. Neighbors love it up there. How many weather vanes do you see sitting on a large tree branch? But it belongs on the roof somewhere.
I also have an old Peterbilt truck bumper mounted on the chain link fence. All I need to do is mount my 2 old headlights and grill I have above it. Yard art. :)

Right now I am trying to figure out what the metal is. It is the type with feet so you just mount it on the roof, no need for a cupola. I don't know if it would even work with a cupola the way the post and the feet are.
I might start another thread on it, and painting it.
I would like to replicate a paint job like this,

Shouldn't be too hard? :rolleyes:
But for now I just want to get used to spraying with the airbrush.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed my brief tutorial given to me by my friend last week. I definitely need practice but I can see why people find them to be such a handy tool. Good luck with the process, your potential project sounds like fun!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jake, once you get used to it you will like it. I don't know what I am doing but I am doing it. :)
It was a sort of Golden bronzed sort of finish on the Eagle. In my anticipation of using the air brush I forgot to take a before picture.
First paint on, actually I hit it with a light brown then went over it with a darker brown. More colors will go on, I would still like to try for the red, white, blue Eagle like above in the other post. White will be blended in on the head and tail. The feet and beak whatever the yellowish color is called. And either some real dark brown or black blended in on the wings. The tail I hit real quick just to get some brown on it, but on the head and tail white will be blended in.

See the feet on the mounting post? It was made just to mount to the roof without a cupola.
The rest was not painted but it is the color of the metal itself. Whatever that is? Not heavy but light. Looks like pewter but I don't think it is. Maybe Zinc? Not aluminum. It is a soft light metal. A magnet does not stick to it.
I think this is from the 50's, as the seller said it sat on a seaside house built new in the early 50's. So whatever metal they used back then.
The silver parts I just cleaned up with a dremal tools wire brush. It sort of shines. I am undecided what color if any to paint them.
Last picture I took with the flash on.

Back to playing with the air brush. :geek:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I added a darker brown.
Pictures without and with flash.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Interesting idea, I have a "roof" eagle which came down from it perch and could be painted. It never occurred to me.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting idea, I have a "roof" eagle which came down from it perch and could be painted. It never occurred to me.
What do you mean by came down?
What does yours look like? The type, like mine?
The post and feet the same?
Post a picture here?
I am curious on what metal was used on mine.
I don't know if I will try the red, white, blue on mine though I would like to.
Going to put some white on today.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
we redid the roof and now it sits on a perch on the ground. it's not cast but copper? plate formed into the shape of an eagle. [i'll try for a pic later, but i guarantee the excitement of it is not that high. painting it though could be interesting. i never thought of it.]

here i imagine in its hey day which to my knowledge was decades ago it may have looked something like this:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we redid the roof and now it sits on a perch on the ground. it's not cast but copper? plate formed into the shape of an eagle. [i'll try for a pic later, but i guarantee the excitement of it is not that high. painting it though could be interesting. i never thought of it.]
You have an air brush?
Try the red, white & blue paint job on it?
I only have gloss red & blue paint, I would have to get some other paint if I try it. I do have a white I think I can use on the head and tail.
Plus I have to get a color that is close to the beak, not yellow, not gold have to hit HD and look at the color sample sheets.
Risk my life going there. :)
Maybe try Amazon or online somewhere but last time I did a lot were out of stock.
Seems like a lot took up painting things during the lock down.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
yes i have one. it remains untried. i did look at it and watch some videos though. it looks easy enough.

here we have a hobby lobby close by and it has a lot of airbrush paints also the pretty local to me train/hobby store has a lot of them -- vallejo brand premixed which everyone seems to say is the "best"...

i've been to HD here -- not sure they have airbrush paints. They have many spray cans, as does say "autozone" or similar, well hobby lobby too now that i think of it and ace hardware, places like that.

i try to go early AM and get it done -- in and out -- and of course we all wear the masks here. At places like home depot you can go into the garden center, find the fence line and take a breath.

On the other hand its best just to get it done. Here we (apparently) prefer to put our masks on AT THE CAR and walk in with it on -- we are very religious about this. Afterwards we tuck over to nearest mom and pop for a burger and beer, less the mask.

I can't figure it but that's what we are doing....

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Jake, once you get used to it you will like it. I don't know what I am doing but I am doing it. :)
It was a sort of Golden bronzed sort of finish on the Eagle. In my anticipation of using the air brush I forgot to take a before picture.
It's looking great so far! Part of my desire for more practice was that he turned me loose on weathering some of the track on the newly sceniced portions his world class HO scale layout with no practice beforehand. Talk about nerve wracking... 😁

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes i have one. it remains untried. i did look at it and watch some videos though. it looks easy enough.

here we have a hobby lobby close by and it has a lot of airbrush paints also the pretty local to me train/hobby store has a lot of them -- vallejo brand premixed which everyone seems to say is the "best"...

i've been to HD here -- not sure they have airbrush paints. They have many spray cans, as does say "autozone" or similar, well hobby lobby too now that i think of it and ace hardware, places like that.

i try to go early AM and get it done -- in and out -- and of course we all wear the masks here. At places like home depot you can go into the garden center, find the fence line and take a breath.

On the other hand its best just to get it done. Here we (apparently) prefer to put our masks on AT THE CAR and walk in with it on -- we are very religious about this. Afterwards we tuck over to nearest mom and pop for a burger and beer, less the mask.

I can't figure it but that's what we are doing....
I buy the sample paints from them. (HD) They are water based. And you can get just about any color you want, just pick one out from the 1000's of colors.
A sample jug is 7.25 OZ around $3 or 4 buck, I would have to look.
Any water based paint you can thin with water is good, plus you don't have to worry about water in your system.
Other paint is thinned with a thinner solvent, water based is easier to clean up when your done.
If you have an older gal of wall paint you can take a little out and thin with water and spray away on a piece of cardboard or wood.
Just to try it out.
After I paint the Eagle I am going to seal it on with something.
I hand painted a copper Eagle I have mounted on my shed with acrylic water based paint and it held up well.
It sat there for 8 years before I touched it up, the second time I sealed it.
Been another 8 years and still looks pretty good.
I ran out and took a picture, it needs another paint job but for 16 years sitting there it has held up well.
It does need another sprucing up, I hand painted this. You can't really see the blended in darker spots I used 3 different browns and a wash of black.
You also can't see some corrosion starting too, I will fix that this summer. But it is copper and I used water based paints on it.
The one wing is a hair higher then the other when I mounted it, I will fix that too.
I only had yellow for the legs and beak, I have to find a more gold/yellow color for them and the weather vane Eagle.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's looking great so far! Part of my desire for more practice was that he turned me loose on weathering some of the track on the newly sceniced portions his world class HO scale layout with no practice beforehand. Talk about nerve wracking... 😁
Thanks, one of these years I will learn how to take better pictures.
Seems like I can't get the light right. They are either too dark or with the flash too bright.
What you see in the pictures looks different to the eye.

You will like it once you use one.
I been telling T Man that, now I can say I love it. ( Hear me T man?) :)
Both T Man and me have been rattle cans painters, I would bet he would love the air brush painting too.
Now I am looking all over for different things to paint. :)

Reactions: santafe158
1 - 20 of 24 Posts