Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not much love out there – in the real world or model world.

Prototype: 74 A units and 4 B units were made. New Haven acquired 60 of the A units, but, interestingly, none of the B units. Southern Railway bought three As and 3 Bs. Two of the A-B pairs were operated on the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railway – which is an interesting story in itself.

Model: Some brass units can be found. As far as I can tell only Walthers/Proto made models for us regular folks, but they are now discontinued. They’re not too scarce on eBay, if you want a New Haven or Rock Island unit. Southern units are scarce as hens teeth, but my saved search finally alerted me to one on Friday, so I snatched it. 99 bucks and free shipping from Model Train Market (whom I’ve bought from before and always had good results). Numbered 6401, it's one of the CNO&TP units.

Most consider them among the ugliest cab units ever made. My favorite comment about it's appearance: "It's even uglier than the BL-2." :)

Train Vehicle Toy Rolling stock Rectangle

Train Vehicle Toy Rolling stock Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Yeah, those were discontinued a long time ago….too bad, the Proto1000 line had some nice locomotives….

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I think the Baldwin Centipedes win the title for the worst looking cab units. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think it's kinda cool lookin! Not a huge fan of that paint scheme, but still cool!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
I think it's kinda cool lookin! Not a huge fan of that paint scheme, but still cool!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I agree! I love the look. I own 2 of them, in Hunter Green and Gold NH livery.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
Yeah, those were discontinued a long time ago….too bad, the Proto1000 line had some nice locomotives….
They made another run under their "Mainline" series not too many years ago. That's how I picked up my second one.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Sweet score. I think it has a unique look that's not bad... I agree with @Gramps the centipedes are pretty ugly and I think that is one PRR engine I don't know if I'll ever :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with them. They look like any other F unit except for the length and the DC-9 windshield.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DC-9 windshield
I did LOL at that.

Not saying I won't pick one up eventually they're just at the very end of my wish list
PRR had 24 of the 56 centipedes made. But, if you're a stickler for the prototype... "All PRR units were semi-permanently coupled back-to-back, in pairs. " 😮

I'd like to have one just for the curiosity of it. But, yeah, only offered by BLI (or brass), so it's at the end of the list.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
PRR had 24 of the 56 centipedes made. But, if you're a stickler for the prototype... "All PRR units were semi-permanently coupled back-to-back, in pairs. " 😮

I'd like to have one just for the curiosity of it. But, yeah, only offered by BLI (or brass), so it's at the end of the list.
What you don't have a rich man's model train budget like the rest of us??? I like the BLI stuff but my wallet doesn't:censored:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DL-109 on the right. EMD E6 on the left.

Train Plant Vehicle Sky Track

Train Motor vehicle Plant Rolling stock Wood

Sky Train Cloud Plant Vehicle

Not sure why the 109 got labelled the ugly duckling.

Trucks

Train Rolling stock Railway Vehicle Rolling

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track Railway

About the only difference I can tell between the Proto 1000 (109) and 2000 (E6) is that the grab irons are molded into the shell on the 1000 and the doors open on the 2000.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think they look different but not ugly. Any piece of machinery that has smooth lines is appealing to me though. All those windows in the side aren’t real pretty to look at though

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Jscullans wrote:
"To me it screams that we are going to need mechanics commonly and they need light to fix this thing"

That would be about right.
From what I've read, the DL-109's weren't so good, reliability-wise. The engines used worked better in yard locomotives (which aren't run at full power continuously) than for over-the-road service.
They were cramped inside, as well.

Their service life on the New Haven wasn't that long.
Comparing the DL-109 to the E7, it's apparent why EMD "led the way" while Alco lagged behind (and eventually left the business).
One is a streamliner.
The other is a clunky streamliner.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
Jscullans wrote:
"To me it screams that we are going to need mechanics commonly and they need light to fix this thing"

That would be about right.
From what I've read, the DL-109's weren't so good, reliability-wise. The engines used worked better in yard locomotives (which aren't run at full power continuously) than for over-the-road service.
They were cramped inside, as well.

Their service life on the New Haven wasn't that long.
Comparing the DL-109 to the E7, it's apparent why EMD "led the way" while Alco lagged behind (and eventually left the business).
One is a streamliner.
The other is a clunky streamliner.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

However, it's not entirely fair to blame the poor mechanical reliability of the DL109s on Alco. The New Haven (which owned most of them) treated its equipment poorly, and ran it ragged, deferring maintenance more often than doing it. Had they been better maintained, they might not have earned this reputation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts