Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Im working on creating this loco for a friend of mine (see pic below). Problem is, I cant find what I would call a surface mount ditchlight, to mount like these are (see pic again). Notice how they are located on the front (I guess you would call it) of the anti-climber. As opposed to the the top like we see most often. Im using the Athearn Ditchlight set (see below), these have a mount that goes down through the top of the anti-climber.

Any suggestions on where I can buy ones that mount like the prototype? Or suggestions on how to modify these to work?

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is a black plastic tubing for garden sprinkler systems that would work. The tubing comes in a variety of sizes.

Alternatively you could use a dowel of the proper outside diameter and hollow it out through the middle to make room for the LEDs. If you need the light area to be smaller, drill only part way through to expose only the amount you need exposed. Paint the edge black and you're set.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a black plastic tubing for garden sprinkler systems that would work. The tubing comes in a variety of sizes.

Alternatively you could use a dowel of the proper outside diameter and hollow it out through the middle to make room for the LEDs. If you need the light area to be smaller, drill only part way through to expose only the amount you need exposed. Paint the edge black and you're set.
Thanks for the reply Ray, question. So you are talking about using this hose, a slice of it, to make like a ring that would act as a housing for the led or bulb and mount flat to the front of the anti-climber and then run the wires straight back into the frame correct?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply DA! By chance, could you post a pic of what you do? I'm very visual :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ray, question. So you are talking about using this hose, a slice of it, to make like a ring that would act as a housing for the led or bulb and mount flat to the front of the anti-climber and then run the wires straight back into the frame correct?
Exactly. I suppose you could also use brass tubing or small copper tubing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Would the shrink tubing such as you use on wire work? I am thinking of get it big enough that all the bulb except what you want exposed fits inside, then shrink the tubing around it. Drill holes in the engine where you want to mount them (glue, I think, would hold the assembly in place). I have NOT tried anything like this, so if you try it,,,,good luck!

God Bless

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.