Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just occurred to me that there have been no rumors floating around about a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Box Car this year. ;)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Certainly not one of the better designs over the years. It's like the person doing the designing stopped about midway through the project and rushed it into production. :(

Even if you can get past all the stark white-space on the boxcar, the $85 price tag is a deal-breaker for me. These kinds of boxcars don't even sell for $25 in the aftermarket at train shows. So why even think about spending $85? :confused: Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

In prior years, Macy's offered all kinds of coupons, free shipping, and promo codes that got these gems into your hands for under $40 easily. But that never happened in 2018. So it's no surprise they still have these in inventory.

As for a 2019 version? We shall see.....

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Well, I kinda gave up on that "thing" a few years ago . . .

Still will watch the Macy's parade this morning . . . :)

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Ugly & expensive. Like Rocky Mountaineer says, they really drop in price 6 months down the road on the secondary market.

Bill

·
Admin
45,127 Posts
I don't collect cars like that, it's like collecting some of the York show cars. I love the York show, but you can buy the cars on the secondary market for around $10! And, those are top quality MTH Premier boxcars. I have about twenty of them in a large box that I'm going to paint for a unit train. I know someone paid a ton more than the $10 I did for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts