Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The first contest was limited - Winner of the April 1st was "Lee Willis" - This contest is for All Scales - And For Members of the Model Train Forum - You have to be a member of this forum for at least 30 days to enter the contest - If you belong to The Train Collectors Association already your next year's dues will be paid directly to the TCA - If you are new to collecting when and if you win - I will call the TCA with your information and pay them directly for your new 1-year membership{ If you love trains , you will love the TCA} and you will receive a $100.00 gift card VIA priority mail - Anything goes - You need a car- 1 Building or more, it can be any building or Circus ride - farm - shipyard - lighthouse - any brand - your choice -. For The Love of Model building is open to all ages - if you are under 18 years of age you must have a parent - or grandparent collect your prize money, your name will be posted - or posted as the child of or grandchild of { Due to privacy in some states} If you are overseas and a Member of the board and win this contest - { Overseas - I will give you the information off the card so that you may use that on line VIA email once I confirm you are the winner} - You can use your winnings for eBay or any local hobby shop or and train supply house - Simple no rules on materials scale or manufacturer - show us what you can do. - Winner will be posted on here July 4th 2022 - If you win and your name is posted - you contact me via [email protected] I will send you instructions and a photo to post on your Model Train Forum Account On this thread to prove it is you - I will then send out the $100 Gift card and call the TCA with your info and pay a 1-year memberships dues in your name. Disclaimer: Remember I'm an old guy here and you never know when a health issue comes up and something goes wrong - like the last contest - if something goes wrong with my health like I do not wake up - the Contest is terminated - this is being solely paid for and done by me, I do restorations and own www.boxcarcharlie.com - Why? because model train building is super cool - no matter how old you are. Contest and entries have to be posted by midnight - July 4th - so get them in early Any questions just ask and have fun.
Product Font Window Building Technology

·
Registered
708 Posts
Many thanks for continuing a new contest, you sure like to have fun! 😄
And I won't mind trying to pick your pocket for the next contest!!!
I read your profile over on your "about me" site and admire your spunk and resilencency during your troubling past losses.
Your just too young (as I saw from your 1965 photo) to have medical issues, but it sounds like you full of vim and vinegar ...life is just too short to be anything else otherwise.
Good luck to all the contestants and may the best.....person win!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for continuing a new contest, you sure like to have fun! 😄
And I won't mind trying to pick your pocket for the next contest!!!
I read your profile over on your "about me" site and admire your spunk and resilencency during your troubling past losses.
Your just too young (as I saw from your 1965 photo) to have medical issues, but it sounds like you full of vim and vinegar ...life is just too short to be anything else otherwise.
Good luck to all the contestants and may the best.....person win!
You are very welcome - 😁 Like an old Timex watch - I'm still ticking { Great Doctors here in FL }😃- Good Luck to all of you

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tips For New People - You can get supplies at any Hobby Store / Hobby Lobby Micheals and yes good old eBay for the old stock - Noch products are great below are products along with what I use for dead area swamp trees is from the Fox Fern plant they die off you just cut them off the plant - Life Like trees have issues with debris coming off them - Palm trees from China are cheap I can get them from eBay { note the trunk of the tree and palms branches need a bit of dull coat or whatever you use - and I paint the trunks as palm trees are not all shiny and bright brown 😁 Good Luck to all
Plant Houseplant Botany Terrestrial plant Flowerpot
Plant Leaf Nature Natural environment Botany
Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Toy Building
Product Plant World Font Tree
Rectangle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Font
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant Soil

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm sorry I'm a little slow. But I do not understand what we are submitting, to whom and where. I got the When, before July 4th.

"Anything goes - You need a car- 1 Building or more, it can be any building or Circus ride - farm - shipyard - lighthouse - any brand - your choice -. "

So we need to submit a "train car"?, 1 building or more? How many pictures are we submitting? Unlimited entries? Just photos or do we need descriptions also?

Are we posting here or emailing to [email protected]? Do we vote for our favorites or are you the judge and jury?

Sorry, I just don't understand.
Ron

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yeah I’m a little confused too. By “Accessories” my mind thinks things like alley details or laundry lines between high rise apartments in NYC or something, lawn sprinklers spraying “water,” company trucks, etc. The requirement of having, what I understand, to be a freight car in the scene is severely limiting. But a good chance I’m misunderstanding.

·
Hobo for Life
7,275 Posts
I think its just a car, like a chevy, and some sort of building and sceen in the backround. But , anything goes. I would post one sceen , maybe multiple photos here on this thread. This is my understanding of this taking into consideration the last contest. But , I am not the OP. But I still will try to have something done. Lol. Need , a car, building, and a layout.......soon.....soon......

·
Registered
708 Posts
My submission for the contest is my....
Hatchville Freight terminal on the Santa Fe Line ....on the east side of town...
The building itself is the Iron Ridge Freight Station Kit in HO Scale by Walthers Trainline with a kitbashed dock to conform to a curved siding and yard outer loop. The building is pretty stock with a added interior floor and internal and external nano LED lighting of my own rigging. Freight boxes, barrels, and sacks, loading up the dock are from Woodland scenics and various other freight building kits, even some N scale freight, forklift is made by Wiking, people from Preiser and a few I have no clue!
The general view of the building on my
Santa Fe BIG "L" layout.....
Building Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Urban design

The delivery ran late into the evening much to the dismay of Butch, the dockmaster....
Window Building Wood Mode of transport Urban design

Dispatch purposely put that customers order in the Super Shock control boxcar to minimize damage but "Toby", the new kid on the dock, opened up the door to grab a stuck box and it toppled out the door almost knocking the new kid off his feet..."LOOK OUT KID!"
Hope Candice, the office girl, renewed the dock insurance?
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Building Window

The night is damp and cool as the conductor is walking back from throwing the switch in anticipation of a quick departure....
Atmosphere Street light Building Cloud Light

Otis is overlooking a packed loading dock and dreading the task at hand without his pint of Old Crow....
Automotive lighting Lighting Wood Wheel Tire

A overview of the busy dock as lighting shadows play on the docks tin roof overhang...
Property Building Window Wood House

The loaded dock has warehouse worker "Smitty" scrambling with is dolly to clean off the dock as the freight car gets unloaded.....busy, busy, busy....
Window Building Track Mode of transport Rolling stock

The streetview of the Hatchville freight house will be busy in the morning as Butch's Taxi looks to be waiting a while for its fare....
Land vehicle Car Building Vehicle Window

Hatchville Freight house supplies the towns commercial stores and industrial shops with appliances and critical dry goods. The town bustled with income from Route 66 traffic and is slow to adapt to modern times though the mayor got government money for new fangled street lights and signs. Town folk are concerned the I 55 interstate is causing decreased visitors. Air and Truck traffic are causing the railroad issues too as the weathered 2598 is showing it's lack of maintenance....just another day on the Santa Fe Big L.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry I'm a little slow. But I do not understand what we are submitting, to whom and where. I got the When, before July 4th.

"Anything goes - You need a car- 1 Building or more, it can be any building or Circus ride - farm - shipyard - lighthouse - any brand - your choice -. "

So we need to submit a "train car"?, 1 building or more? How many pictures are we submitting? Unlimited entries? Just photos or do we need descriptions also?

Are we posting here or emailing to [email protected]? Do we vote for our favorites or are you the judge and jury?

Sorry, I just don't understand.
Ron
Place your entry On here - sorry for delay - I've been super busy with repairs - My Judge is my 87 year old Aunt who loves trains She gives input { She grew up with trains , and women have a great attention to details } and we decide which is the best one Hope this helps - We will have another Contest for Christmas

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good Morning Everyone Sorry for delay in responding - I got slammed with work

Any scale : You need a car- 1 Building or more, it can be any building or Circus ride - farm - shipyard - lighthouse - any brand

Pretty simple and sorry for confusion on this - Do not worry next contest will be better run

My email is just so I can make sure - once I pick the winner - I can make sure who you are and where to send the gift card - with scammers out there today - I did this last contest

Winner posts a photo to this tread on your account That I send to your eMail - makes it all good

I promise next contest will be better run - It Promises to fun and huge $$ and I will post early on the next one and better ways to get a hold of me

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My submission for the contest is my....
Hatchville Freight terminal on the Santa Fe Line ....on the east side of town...
The building itself is the Iron Ridge Freight Station Kit in HO Scale by Walthers Trainline with a kitbashed dock to conform to a curved siding and yard outer loop. The building is pretty stock with a added interior floor and internal and external nano LED lighting of my own rigging. Freight boxes, barrels, and sacks, loading up the dock are from Woodland scenics and various other freight building kits, even some N scale freight, forklift is made by Wiking, people from Preiser and a few I have no clue!
The general view of the building on my Santa Fe BIG "L" layout.....
View attachment 585197
The delivery ran late into the evening much to the dismay of Butch, the dockmaster....
View attachment 585202
Dispatch purposely put that customers order in the Super Shock control boxcar to minimize damage but "Toby", the new kid on the dock, opened up the door to grab a stuck box and it toppled out the door almost knocking the new kid off his feet..."LOOK OUT KID!"
Hope Candice, the office girl, renewed the dock insurance?
View attachment 585198

The night is damp and cool as the conductor is walking back from throwing the switch in anticipation of a quick departure....
View attachment 585199

Otis is overlooking a packed loading dock and dreading the task at hand without his pint of Old Crow....
View attachment 585200
A overview of the busy dock as lighting shadows play on the docks tin roof overhang...
View attachment 585201
The loaded dock has warehouse worker "Smitty" scrambling with is dolly to clean off the dock as the freight car gets unloaded.....busy, busy, busy....
View attachment 585203

The streetview of the Hatchville freight house will be busy in the morning as Butch's Taxi looks to be waiting a while for its fare....
View attachment 585204

Hatchville Freight house supplies the towns commercial stores and industrial shops with appliances and critical dry goods. The town bustled with income from Route 66 traffic and is slow to adapt to modern times though the mayor got government money for new fangled street lights and signs. Town folk are concerned the I 55 interstate is causing decreased visitors. Air and Truck traffic are causing the railroad issues too as the weathered 2598 is showing it's lack of maintenance....just another day on the Santa Fe Big L.
Very nice -- lets see if you get any competition - Good Luck to ever one

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not sure I still understand, but I'll follow @SF Gal 's lead.

This is my metropolitan city train station with underground train platforms. The station is a kitbash of 3 MTH banks. I try to repurpose as many things as possible. Not just to save money, but because it's fun to think of different ways to use things.

Part I - The Top.

Building Sky Window Vehicle Architecture

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

I save all of my scrap foam. These shrubs are just scrap foam covered with flock.
The curb is foam that was shaped and painted to edge my base for the station.
Plant Building Window Asphalt Tree

These jersey barriers are actually the size tags from clothes hangers.
Plant Window Building Tree Road surface

This planter is a piece of foam and brick clip art printed from my computer. The sedum plants in my wife's garden are harvested in the fall to make great trees. The mulch in the planter is just dyed sawdust.
Photograph Window White Automotive lighting Yellow

What city scene wouldn't be complete without a custom scratch build hot dog stand. Everything here is either scratch build or repurposed. Can you guess what the hot dogs are made of?
Building Plant Window Shorts City

Looks like Officer Pete got some mustard on his uniform. Officer Pete actually had his head and arm removed and re-attached to create that look.
Window Tire Wheel Flowerpot Plant

Officer Jim greets a dog while his partner issues a citation to that poor Camaro driver who illegally parked.
Car Window Vehicle Building Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Part II - The underground trains.

Passengers admired the old 2-8-0 as she gets ready to depart.
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Transport hub Wheel

A view from the south end that exits to the city street.
Train Transport hub Building Vehicle Mode of transport

These passengers eagerly await their inbound train.
Transport hub Rolling stock Track Railway Rolling

These folks are ready to board their express train.
Train Transport hub Rolling stock Track Vehicle

The design engineers miscalculated the length of those NJ Transit Comet II passenger cars from Atlas. The concreate corner pillar had to be removed and replaced with a smaller but stronger steel girder to accommodate the long train. It's such a close fit, speed is restricted to 5 mph.
Train Rolling stock Transport hub Track Railway

This Amtrak AEM-7 departs for the NE corridor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Part II - The underground trains.

Passengers admired the old 2-8-0 as she gets ready to depart.
View attachment 585328

A view from the south end that exits to the city street.
View attachment 585329

These passengers eagerly await their inbound train.
View attachment 585330

These folks are ready to board their express train.
View attachment 585331

The design engineers miscalculated the length of those NJ Transit Comet II passenger cars from Atlas. The concreate corner pillar had to be removed and replaced with a smaller but stronger steel girder to accommodate the long train. It's such a close fit, speed is restricted to 5 mph.
View attachment 585332

This Amtrak AEM-7 departs for the NE corridor.
Perfect You have Officially placed your entry - Very nice - winner will be picked Monday morning, Once a winner is picked , I will post it to this thread - The winner than emails me at
[email protected] - I will forward you a photo via email to post on here- Then I know who the winner is and where to send Gift card - simple winner emails your name and address - I send gift card Priority mail - I call the TCA with your name and pay for one year membership - if you have a TCA member number if your the winner That will help when I call to pay your dues for one year - You will also get my cell phone number via the emails Good Luck to everyone

1 - 20 of 23 Posts