Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I admit it. I love steam engines, but never really understood what all those protrusions were all over the engine. I knew the firebox opened in the cab, water went into the boiler, was turned to steam and drove pistons that pushed the rods...but I was really fuzzy on the details and what all that plumbing and those domes were all about. So, without further ado, here are two sites that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about steam locomotives!:eek::eek::eek:

First...the hardware identified: point at a spot on the drawing and click.
http://www.heavenr.com/railroad/glossary.html

Second, a detailed explanation of what those parts do and how she works: select from the list in the dark-blue column.
http://www.nymr.demon.co.uk/works/works.htm

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
All You Ever Wanted to Know About Steamers....

I love steamers smothered in butter. mmmmmmmm good.:D

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Clams baby....clams!

OH YEAH,
Nothin like a cold malt Beverage and a dozen Steamers w/ lemon,hot sauce, more malt beverage...yumyum:D

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
OH YEAH,
Nothin like a cold malt Beverage and a dozen Steamers w/ lemon,hot sauce, more malt beverage...yumyum:D

Clams reckers.
Get them right out of the Jersey water. (I don't want to hear any jokes about that)

I like mine just dipped in butter.
mmmmmmmmm good!

With a side order of Blue Claw crabs.

Main course a nice big lobster.

brb got to go eat!:D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*LOL*....I get to MD once in a long while. I always feast on the seafood while I'm there. I'm partial to raw oysters and soft-shell crab sammiches!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
I second that, I'm not to sure I would eat anything out of Jersey waters either.:laugh:
You would be surprised to know what you got in your own backyards.
The mining industries are big violators.

copy and paste's.............,

the Horsehead Corporation of Pennsylvania, which has dumped illegal concentrations of copper, lead, zinc, chlorine and selenium into the Ohio River. Those chemicals can contribute to mental retardation and cancer.

Numerous state and federal lawmakers said they were unaware that pollution was so widespread.

On October 11, 2000 in eastern Kentucky an estimated 250 million gallons of coal sludge (wastewater from coal operations) burst from its mountaintop holding pond and filtered its way through creeks into the Big Sandy River. From there it began to make its way towards the Ohio River. The sludge contains measurable amounts of several toxic minerals which are deadly to many organisms. The spill is up to six feet deep and runs as wide as 70 yards. Species ranging from turtles to frogs to fish have been found smothered by the sludge in tributaries of the Big Sandy. Wayne Davis, environmental section chief of the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife believes that this is only the beginning of the impact. This was characterized as one of the worst environmental disasters in the southeastern U. S.
In addition to the impact on animal species, the disaster forced many communities to resort to the use of bottled water or to using their reserve supplies because the water is too contaminated for human use of any kind. The company responsible for the spill is paying for temporary water lines in several counties. They are actively involved in trying to clean up the spill, but the consequences of the accident are already high. Many businesses and schools have been forced to close as they await cleanup efforts.
Currently the water pressure from the faster-moving Ohio River is maintaining the sludge in one area. However, the sludge will eventually filter into the Ohio River and make its way downstream. Officials hope the deeper, faster water of the Ohio will help disperse the pollution and cause less problems further downstream. The Ohio River borders on several states which could be affected by the disaster, and eventually it runs into the Mississippi River where further damage could occur.

Kentucky's efforts to detect and prevent nonpoint source water pollution from animal feeding operations, straight pipes, and mining operations are hampered by administrative weaknesses, according to a performance audit released by State Auditor Ed Hatchett.

"Over a million Kentuckians drink ground water. They rely on state government to protect them from fecal contamination, acid mine drainage, and other water pollutants," said Hatchett. "Unfortunately, regulators are not ensuring safe, potable water."

Have a nice shower! :D:rolleyes:
After you get a drink of water out there in Daniel Boone land.:laugh:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*grins*....and then, the Ohio River carries it down to the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. At that point, it encounters the northbound Gulf Stream and then, due to Bernoulli's Principle, the contaminants catch the express-train to....you guessed it! New Jersey!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
*grins*....and then, the Ohio River carries it down to the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. At that point, it encounters the northbound Gulf Stream and then, due to Bernoulli's Principle, the contaminants catch the express-train to....you guessed it! New Jersey!
your right...............this thread veers off,

as the gulf stream veers to the east of the southern tip of NJ (Cape May)
and that's about 80 miles SE of NJ, the closest it gets to our state.:D

Which in turn brings it towards England then south to Africa and the hurricanes bring it to the gulf of Mexico, up the Mississippi, back up to the Ohio river its starting point.:D

Where I am at Sandy Hook, the gulf stream is about 100 miles out in the ocean.:cool:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
I never would have thought I would get so educated on a model train forum, haha
What was the original post?:laugh:

OH...... steamers, yes I love them with butter!:laugh::thumbsup:

STEAM ENGINES?:confused:
Yes I love them too.:D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20